Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sprouted bean salad

Dear foodies,

Close on the heels of the sweet & savory chickpea and sweet potato salad, I have another salad recipe for you. This one uses a different set of beans and fresh veggies in it. I've been trying to add more protein in my diet. For a vegetarian, beans and legumes are an excellent source of protein, apart from soy and dairy products. Instead of using canned beans - which are more expensive, may contain high amounts of sodium, and not always the right texture for your recipe - re-hydrating dried beans at home is a far better option. You also get the added advantage of sprouting them when you do this and can control the texture of the final product.

I bought some garbanzo beans, kala chana, yellow and green split peas, kidney beans and some black eyed peas to kick start the dried bean collection in my pantry. The bulk bins at the store are a great boon here. I can pick 3-4 varieties and buy just a cup or two of each instead of investing on a whole bag of them. When I get into the mood of prepping the beans, I almost always over do it :D So on the same evening I'll have numerous odd sized bowls sprawled across the counter-tops, each holding a different kind of bean for soaking. And then for the next few days, I'll pressure cook them batch after batch, storing a few bowls of soaking beans in the fridge to stop them from spoilage after day 1. Changing the water every 10-12 hrs helps too. Once pressure cooked, I portion them out into plastic bags and send them into the freezer to await their cooking turn. I cannot tell you how convenient having a bag of these pre-cooked beans are when it comes to making a quickie meal.

I leave out a few handfuls of each bean to sprout so I can snack on them or to even use in stir fry's. (Sprouting guide from the Bee & Jai). Here is a quick salad that I made with a few of them.

Mixed Sprouted Beans Salad
(serves 4)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups - mixed sprouts (here I used yellow split peas, kala channa/black chickpeas)
  • 3/4 cup - English cucumber, diced
  • 1/2 cup - Red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup - Carrots, diced
  • 1/2 tsp - Mustard seeds
  • 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp - Urad dal
  • 1/4 tsp - Ginger, finely minced
  • 1/4 tsp - Red chilli powder or to taste
  • a pinch of turmeric
  • 1/2 Tbsp - Olive oil
  • 4-5 Mint leaves
  • Salt to taste
  • Squeeze of lemon juice
Method:
  1. Heat oil in a pan, splutter the mustard and cumin seeds, add the urad dal and allow it to turn a slight orange color.
  2. Add turmeric and ginger, saute for a few seconds. The diced peppers & carrots go in next, cook just for a couple of minutes to get rid of their rawness.
  3. Next add the sprouts, cover and saute about 2-3 mins.
  4. Take off the heat, allow it to cool a bit and add diced cucumber, mint leaves, lemon juice, salt and chilli powder. Taste and adjust for seasonings. This salad can be served warm or at room temperature.
This is a nice crunchy salad with a tangy, fresh feel to it, and its mighty filling too. A pinch of roasted cumin powder or chaat masala would also be great here. I had found some fresh colored carrot tops at the store which were put to good use here. I am really looking forward to the fresh spring produce to get to the groceries stores here. Tired of looking at everything being shipped from Mexico or Peru or some place far far away, walking through the aisles feels more like a travel expedition now.

24 thoughts:

Chitra said...

This salad looks so fresh. I love sprouted salads - so refreshing and crunchy. I just bought some green moong dal to sprout:)

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love sprouted salads like this

R said...

I've been sprouting beans (esp kala channa) and keeping them in the freezer. I add a handful to almost all of my gravy dishes. Yesterday added them to French beans koora. Husband ki chaala nachindi. Faint ayyi paddanu anuko :)

In any case, please keep posting salads. I really really need sustaining ones! Colors are brilliant in this!

Reshmi said...

fresh n delicious bean salad.....looks healthy...

Unknown said...

Colorful healthy salad!

Aruna Manikandan said...

Salad looks colourful and healthy too !!!!

Lovely clicks :-)

PS said...

nice, colorful and very inviting salad..

Priya Suresh said...

I love sprouts and this sprouted bean salad looks fantastic!

Vaishali Sharma said...

Priya...This sprouted bean salad looks awesome! Lovely click too :)

Sonia said...

Nice sprout salad! I know it's very healthy and nutritious.

and hey...tum India jaate pahele humein sirf 'Salad' karogi kya? ;) :D

Vanamala Hebbar said...

looks nice ...nice pic...chatpata yummy

Champa said...

Beautiful picture. I loved the way you combined different sprouts together. I am hosting my first event which is on baking. Check it out if you are interested.
http://versatilekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/bake-off-event-announcement.html

Mahe said...

Heard about "Quinoa" from a co-worker today...a very good source of protein!

Tina said...

Healthy and colourful salad with tempting clicks...

Bong Mom said...

Hey that freezing is a neat trick. Can I pressure cook with spices and freeze ? How long does it last good ?

Love the salad and love that bowl most

Malar Gandhi said...

Wow, thats a perfect, fulfilling, colorful, energetic salad:) Awesome:)

Priya said...


Chitra, the crunchy part is what I like the most in them :) Do you have a recipe waiting for us then ?

Deesha, thats makes two of us :)

R, beans with beans sounds like a nice combo, recipe edi aithe ? Will try to post some more for you, a nice hummus coming up next.

Reshmi, Sharmilee, Aruna, Angee, Priya, thank you. the salad was almost too pretty to eat :D

Vaishali, thank you :)

Sonia, hehehe, had to balance out all the brownies we are eating ;-)

Vanamala, yep, chatapata is perfect for describing this one.

Bangalore Baker, Will surely try to send something over for your event, thank you for not restricting into to just sweet goodies :)

Priya said...


Mahe, I love quinoa, you should try it too if you haven't yet. There is a salad recipe using it somewhere on this blog. I usually stir fry random veggies or greens and mix it up with some cooked quinoa.

Tina, thank you :)

Sandeepa, I cooked the last batch of rajma with cloves and bay leaves before freezing them. Haven't tried going any further with spices, usually just salt the water and leave the choices open for later.
They last forever(current batch is almost 2 months old) in my freezer. I use just a handful of them at a time and store the rest.

Malar, no salad has ever received such adjectives before! glad you liked it :)

Osai Chella said...

hi Priya, your blog is listed 24 X 7 X 12 in blogchai.com. Kindly consider providing an incoming link or a badge. Cheers and happy sipping!

Dori said...

Wow, that looks so healthy and beautiful!

Srivalli said...

Looks beautiful priya..

Soma said...

I save my cooked beans the same way:-) That salad is so right for my lunch.. loving the green cucumbers and the sprouts. they are breathing fresh and cool.

Parita said...

What delightful salad! Perfect for summers!

Unknown said...

Healthy and colorful salad!

Blogging tips