Saturday, October 04, 2008

holding on...

Dear Foodies,

to summer, cos winter is here, ALREADY! I think Fall flew past us overnight when we were asleep. The temperatures have dropped by 20 degrees and the trees are already shedding their leaves before changing colors...aah :(, very unfair! I am going to miss all those lovely bright hues of orange and pink that took over the skies every evening for the last 6 months. My patio faces the west and so every evening as I get back from work I get to watch a play of lights and shadows in my living room, and I sit right next to the window absorbing the warmth of the sun filtering through the glass sipping my coffee/tea, hmmm...I am going to deeply miss it.

I've been keeping myself warm by staying in the kitchen, baking :) I've gotten tired of having cereals in the morning and it got to the extent where I was skipping breakfast, bad, very bad. I told you how my body does not approve of it on the weekdays in my previous post that . So I switched to eating bread instead, and that allowed me to try my hand at baking too. The first few attempts were a huge success while the last one was not...more about that later though.

So the last two weekends I baked a white bread and a whole wheat+spelt one trying to capture the warmth from the sun in them. I used them in many ways through out the week for breakfast, evening snack and even dinner with a warm bowl of soup. Yes, winter is here :(( :(( The added advantage though of having bread for breakfast is, tossing the slices in the oven takes only a few seconds, and then I just need to add a dollop pf jam and I can head out with my 'to-go' breakfast :) So I can sleep a extra 3-5 mins in the morning that would have been spent eating cereals, every extra minute in bed is precious you see :) The recipes for these breads coming up :D along with the snack time ideas could you throw in your breakfast choices too ?

12 thoughts:

Sonia said...

so...u don't like winter...Ahhh! I love it.:) The summer is crawling here in Australia...with long...long days....!
Awaiting for post for bread. And ur pics are so beautiful. nice capture!
Take care.
Sonu:)

sunita said...

Baking your own bread is so comforting. And spelt is a great choice. For us, on weekdays, it is usually muesli( with milk or yogurt and honey) or porridge (with rasins and nuts) or toast, or pancakes(when there is a bit more time) with eggs thrown in for the kids and some fruit.Not very elaborate on our breakfasts, but we make it a point not to skip it.

Priya said...


Sonu, winter in India was good, but here its 6 months of cold days filled with snow and no sunlight :(( yup, the bread will come, I have a whole month to cover you see ;)

Sunita, the spelt idea came from your bread recipe :D coming up coming up :P But hey, can you tell me more about muesli ? I bought some old fashioned rolled oats y'day to try n get back to warm breakfasts since winter is here!! :(

Indian Food Rocks said...

what? what? winter is 6 months? No!! There be fall and then there be spring. :-D

Yeah, I know, it feels like that!

Breakfast is usually last night's leftovers. Even Andrew Weil approves - he even recommends pizza for breakfast! I felt so good when I read that! Eating carbs and sugary cereals for breakfast makes you hungry sooner than you think. Or I have Nature's Path granola with yogurt.

Nirmala said...

Those pics are inviting. Especially the bowl with the bread! Living in Chennai I always lik steamed food for beakfast. Its either idli or a small bowl of pongal!

anudivya said...

If I make bread, we eat it in a day! Sometimes, store bought old bread seems like an easier option... but nowhere close to home-made ones.

mitr_bayarea said...

Very nice that you get to bake your own bread, yes, me too, dreading the changing of seasons now.

Pallavi said...

Never been here before.. Nice blog Priya.. I see you have wonderful pics and many interesting recipes..

Priyanka said...

The skyline view is beautiful....here in florida however, we dont get to ecperience the beauty of different changing seasons.

Unknown said...

Waiting for the bread recipe..Looks beautiful

Anonymous said...

my god it is really beautiful hats off to ur aesthetic sense

Priya said...


Hey guys I am so sorry for not replying to each one of you. Blogging everyday is tough! Thank you soo much for dropping by :) Enjoy your day

Blogging tips