Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Vinayaka Chavithi Shubhakankshalu

Dear foodies,
Happy Vinayaka Chavithi to all! 

These are the rava ladoo's my mother made when she was here, infact she made them more than a couple of times for my brother since it's his fav sweet. Yes, I enjoyed them too, but he owns the sweet tooth :D 
The recipe is similar to the one I posted here. Adjust the sugar according to your taste, start with a 1: 1/2 ratio of rava and sugar and then increase the amount of sugar from there. If you are familiar with the sweetness of the sugar you use, then this should be an easy guess without the need for tasting. Another variation of this recipe would be to replace a portion of the rava with roasted urad dal flour or roasted moong dal flour. Just as I have been telling in all my Indian sweet recipes, don't skimp on the ghee! 
Traditionally, Kozhakattai or modak are made on this day along with savory rice dumplings called undrallu. Its basically a upma made from rice rava, which is moulded into oval/round balls and steam cooked like idlies. Its served with puli-inji, a tamarind-ginger based gojju. I thought I had posted a recipe for it and dug out my archives only to realize they weren't there, so it'll be coming soon.Enjoy the festival in whatever measure you plan to celebrate and spread that smile on your face to everyone around you :)
I found this photo in my archives today, could be from a couple of years back. This is at my home in Hyd.


and here is one from this year's Varalakshmi Vratam

15 thoughts:

Indian Khana said...

Hey Priya thanks for dropping by my blog...U r rite dear.. but everyone have they constraints !! Happy Ganesh Chaturthi dear...and Ladoo looking yummy..

Cham said...

Happy Vinayaka Chaturthi Priya, ladoos re tempting one :)

notyet100 said...

HAPPY GANESHA CHATURTHI,...LADOOS LOOKYUM,.:-)

Srivalli said...

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi Priya...Ladoo looks great..

Deepa Kuber said...

wow, laddoos looks superb.. manchurian is my fav too.. i too, will freeze some manchurian balls for the future next time i make :)thanks for the idea.

Priya said...


Priti, thats right :) I am going to try and make something tonight.

Cham, I think I still have a couple of them in the fridge, and that'll be my sweet treat for today :)

Notyet100, I was reading thru your breakfast recipe's and so want to have one of the mathri's

Srivalli, meeku kuda vinayaka chavithi shubhakakshalu. Meeru chesina vantakalu choosi naaku norooruthundi!

Anjali, yup, they tend to retain most of their flavor. May be its time I made a batch too :)

Medhaa said...

Ladoos look lovely. Happy Ganesh chaturti.

FewMinute Wonders said...

Happy Ganesh Chathurthi Priya. The rava ladoo and the whole prasadhum looks very nice.

Uma said...

Happy Vinayaka Chavithi to you too Priya! Laddus are yum! the poojas look so pious.

karuna said...

same to u too

Vaishali said...

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi, Priya. Those are lovely laddus.

Sonia said...

Happy Ganesha Chaturthi to you and ur family...!

ST said...

Happy Vinayaka chaviti Priya :))Everything looks awesome and lovely .Laddulu chaala chaala bagunayi.

Nirmala said...

The ladoos looking fabulous! And again my favorite is the savory version and puli-inji would be exotic combo!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Priya for delicious laddus and the cute pictures.Wish you all a happy Vinayaka Chavithi.

Cheers!!
Ganesh chaturthi Gifts to Hyderabad,flowers to hyderabad,Vinayaka chavithi gifts to hyderabad,Cakes,Presents at Hyderabadbazaar|Send special ganapathi sweets,Guntur,India at Us2guntur

Blogging tips