Monday, August 21, 2006

Rava Ladoo

Dear Foodies,


I made Rava ladoo's this weekend. My brother was coming over to visit me, and rava laddoos are one of his favorite sweets. So I took the brave step of trying to make them for him. They tasted good, but lacked my mom's touch :-( A few of the laddo's were a bit hard and had to be microwaved for a couple of seconds to regain their softeness.

Here is the recipe I followed, making these ladoo's is a lot easier than I thought it was, so do try them out.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups - Rava/Sooji (Upma rava)
  • 2 cups - Sugar ( adjust depending on how sweet u want them, starting from 1:3/4)
  • 5-6 nos - Cardamom/Elaichi
  • 1/4 cup - Raisins
  • 1/4 cup - Cashews/Almonds
  • 1 cup - Ghee


Procedure:
  • Heat 1 Tbsp of ghee in a wide saucepan and roast the rava in it for a few minutes. When you start getting the pleasant aroma of the rava, switch off the heat and let the rava cool. The rava will have turned a slight orange, do not let it brown though.
  • Once the rava is cooled, transfer it to a blender along with the sugar and cardamom seeds. Blend them for a few minutes so as to mix the sugar and rava well. But see to it that the rava does not become too fine.
  • Heat 1 tbsp of ghee and roast the raisins and cashews/almonds and allow to cool.
  • Now in a small kadai melt the rest of the ghee, you can reduce the heat to the minimum amount so that the ghee remains in its liquid form until u are done with the laddoos.
  • Take the rava+sugar mixture in a wide vessel or plate. Separate small portions of the mixture and add required amount of ghee to form small ladoo's. Initially I was placing the dry fruits in each laddoo individually while making them. But towards the end I lost interest and added the dry fruits to the whole mixture !! hehe
My Notes:
  • When I was making the first few ladoo's my mind dint let me use just ghee to make the ladoo's and so I was adding a few drops of milk (read it in a website) This did make the process easier but the laddoo's turned out to be hard and were mistaken for Golf balls !!! So dont heisitate to add the required amount of ghee :-)
  • You can add coconut pieces roasted in a litlle ghee to the ladoo's too.
  • Another variation here, using a combination of roasted urad dal flour and rava.

23 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Priya the ladoos are tempting. As you said I am always tempted to add milk & end up making hard ones:((. Better to stick to old basics !!

Anonymous said...

yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!
of all ladoos i prefer this one more!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow..they look lovely. You have a great patience to keep raisins in each ladoo :).

Priya Bhaskaran said...

Priya, Your brother is so lucky to get a sweet sister---You made somuch of ladoo's for him:) The last time I had these ladoo's was in India- 2 years back:( the recipe looks easy to make --will try it:)

Krithika said...

All your hard work has paid off :-) Ladoos look delicious.

Ashwini said...

Ha, I am with you there...always tempted to try something I read in a random site!
Still I dont think they are all bad Priya...look delicious

Prema Sundar said...

Hi Priya,
The laddu picture looks soooooo nice that i want to eat rava laddo now.I think i will make it for Vinayaka chathurthi..

Sudha said...

The ladoo looks yummy priya..i make them by sprinkling milk..it turns out good for me infact it remains soft for almost 6-7 days..Lucky bro...

Menu Today said...

Hi Priya,
Delicious "Rawa Ladoos". Thanks for sharing.

FH said...

HAPPY GANESHA CHATHURTHI !!

Vaishali said...

Love those dainty, yummy-looking ladoos, Priya. I haven't ventured into this field yet. Too scared. :)

Sudha said...

Happy vinayaka chathurthi , priya..

KA said...

Great looking laddu's Priya!

I don't add as much ghee but add a little milk and they haven't turned out hard(atleast not yet I guess..)

indianadoc said...

Wow!! wonderful laddoos priya...hmmm...feel like taking one fr u'r plate!!

Priya said...

Thank you all for the comments, I am not able to spare time to reply to each one of you becasuse of school, but I enjoyed all them. Do keep visiting and surely give these ladoo's a try. They arent time consuming, and even if you do go wrong with the shape/softness they will still taste wonderful ;-)

Sudha and Arjuna,
What is your method for making the ladoo's ? I would love to add milk and yet retain the softness of the ladoo's. Could you point out the mistake I made ??

Happy cooking :-)

Vineela said...

HI priya,
Laddos looks yummy.
Iam a big fan of sweets.
Thanks for sharing.Even i will add milk but lodoos will always stay soft.If you add ghee then shelf life is more with milk it is less.
Thanks for sharing.
Vineela

Nav said...

Priya,

Such a nice thoughtful sister you are. Rava ladoos look yummy. May be will try it some day. Thanks for sharing them!

Cheers,
Nav

Swaroopa said...

tried them.......turned out gr8...thanx 4 sharing....

Anonymous said...

I tasted rava ladoo twice in the last year, since 2 of my colleagues are indians. So I tried to find some recipes in the net, for making them myself. What a disaster *laughs*
But this recipe looks quite nice and I'll give it a try :)

Zo-Ya said...

Hey Priya
I tried this yesterday for Diwali and took some to work too ..it turned out quite nice:)
Thank you!

Cheers

Anu said...

Hi Priya,

Rava ladoos looks perfect and very inviting :)

I am Anu from My Scrawls. I have posted my version of rava laddu in my blog. Do visit my blog in ur free time. would be happy to receive ur comments :)

Kimberly Walker said...

The reason it seems like it's missing something is because u didn't add any milk. It doesn't need much. I usually add about 1/4 cup of condensed milk. I also like to toss in a pinch of crushed saffron!

Hephzi said...

Hi, The laddus really look great. This reminds me of my Mom's recipe.
thanks for posting. Please visit my site at www.hephziskitchen.blogspot.com

Blogging tips