Thursday, December 07, 2006

One Pot Meals - Capsicum Rice

Dear Foodies,

I saw a whole lot of recipes for Capsicum rice in Indian food blogs but never attempted making it myself, as I am a little moody when it comes to eating them. They do'nt spontaneously get into my 'most-liked' veggies. I pick and choose what dishes I can eat them in. My roommate makes a wonderful dish with capsicums cooked in a peanut based gravy, I like it a lot, but then I will only eat the gravy and not the peppers !! And sometimes I cut and chop them myself and use them in sambar as I like the flavor they add to it !! :-D

So, on one such 'I-like-capsicums' day I started out making a pulao using capsicums. I used a my own simple style and set out chopping the capsicum, and then I heard my roomie asking me to add potatoes, so I washed a few potatoes too. When I opened the refrigerator to get some coriander leaves I saw a can of chickpeas staring at me and the next moment I was washing a bowl of them. To accompany then I added some roasted peanuts too :-) And slowly my capsicum rice transformed into something totally different but still pleasing to the taste buds.

Ingredients:
  • 2 nos - Green Capsicum/bell pepper, cubed
  • 1 nos - a big Potato, cubed
  • 1 nos - Onion, cubed
  • 1 cup - Chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup - Peanuts
  • 2 nos - Green Chillies
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, julienned
  • 2 nos - Garlic cloves, julienned
  • few sprigs of Coriander leaves
Spices:
  • 1 tsp - Shahjeera
  • 3 nos - Green Cardamom/Elaichi
  • 5-6 nos - Cloves/Laung
  • 2 nos - Cinnamon, 1 inch sticks
  • 1 tsp - Mint leaves, dried ( optional)
  • 1 tsp - Coriander/Dhania powder (optional)
  • 1-2 Tbsp - Oil / ghee
  • 3 cups - Rice, I use Sona Masoori
Procedure:
  1. Wash and soak the rice till the veggies get done.
  2. Heat oil in a wide pan, once hot add the shahjeera, you can also use normal Cumin seeds/jeera. As they start to brown, add the rest of the ingredients in the spice list through to the mint leaves and toast them for a few seconds.
  3. Next add the peanuts and roast them well.
  4. Now add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute before you add the onions. After the onions turn translucent add the capsicum. I don't like to cook them until tender at this stage and allow them to retain some crunch. Next add the chickpeas and saute till they start getting a crisp at the outer skin.
  5. Toss in the cubed potatoes now, peeling them is left to your choice. Also add some salt sufficient for the veggies and some dhania powder. Cover and cook for a few minutes till the potatoes get a little tender. Add half the coriander leaves too.
  6. Now drain and add the rice and mix well. I saute it till the little water left in the drained rice evaporates and the grains get coated with the oil and look glossy, this will take just 2-3 minutes if the rice is drained well.
  7. Transfer it all to the electric cooker, add the required amount of water and salt and cook to perfection !!
  8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with raita or any gravy of your choice. Will post my recipe for 'bagara baingan with a twist' in my next post which goes perfectly with this dish :-)
Notes:
  • You can choose your own mix of vegetables for this dish.
  • A ground paste of mint, coriander leaves and green chillies could be added for a variation.
  • Instead of using all water for cooking the rice, you can add a cup of coconut milk and reduce the amount of water accordingly.

6 thoughts:

FH said...

One pot dish sounds great with all vegs and chick peas! Perfect for quick meal.Good one.

Shah cooks said...

i agree. capsicum fully cooked tastes funny, but my friend brings a stuffed capsicum(stuffed with rice) that is baked till it turns smushy and it tastes so good.maybe because the rice is inside.

Nabeela said...

one pot dishes are all we cook at the end of semesters, isnt it?
I've not gone into my kicthen for the past 3 days....have been ordering in...but I'm getting sooo tired of greasy and heavy food.

Anonymous said...

Bell pepper, Chickpeas and peanuts ... YUMM ! Nice recipe for a one pot dish.

Priya said...


@ Asha: Thank you Asha !!

@ Shaheen: So true, I hate the mushy feel the fully cooked ones have. Hmmmm ..the idea of rice-stuffed capsicum sounds goooood :-)

@ Nabeela: I'm done...I'm done yayyyyyy :-) I have got tired of eating veggie burgers at Wendy's !!!

@ Priya: Do try it out Priya, I have fallen in love with the idea of adding chickpeas to one pot meals :-)

Andrea said...

Another excellent dish Priya!
Even though this dish has many steps, it was done in no time!
This is a quick fix for when I'm craving veg biryani

I would warn others to be very mindful of the cooking time while cooking the veggies. They do soften up considerably I prefer mine a little crisp!

Blogging tips