Sunday, December 17, 2006

Majjiga Pulusu/Mor Kuzhambu

Dear Foodies,


After a very long time I am posting a recipe from my mom. She sent me a few recipes with pictures quiet a few months back, but I never got around to putting it up. She had made Aratipoola pappu podi ( also known as patoli or usili) and majjiga pulusu for lunch at home. I was going to put in both of them in this post but realized there was a lot more I wanted to write about the plantain flowers, so thats again going to be a post some time hopefully in the near future !! For today I'll be serving some cool and extremely comforting pulusu made with buttermilk.

This one is called 'majjiga(buttermilk) pulusu' in Telugu and 'Mor Kozhambu' in Tamil. It is similar to the North Indian 'Kadi'. You can add veggies like okra, brinjal, white pumpkin or bottle gourd or some spinach or collard greens to it, or when your fridge is empty you can add lil fried besan bajji's or steamed chana dal-toor dal dumplings. I generally end up making this when we have loads of buttermilk nearing its expiry date !! hehe

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups - Buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup - Coconut (freshly grated/dessicated)
  • 2 tsp - Chana dal
  • 1 tsp - Toor dal
  • 2 tsp - Rice
  • 2-3 nos - Green chillies/dry red ones if thats all you have !
  • 1 tsp - Cumin seeds
  • Pinch of turmeric (optional)
  • Salt to taste.
  • 1 tsp -Coconut oil
  • 1 tsp - Mustard seeds
  • A sprig of curry leaves and coriander leaves for garnish.
Procedure:
  1. Soak the chana dal, toor dal and rice in some warm water for 15-20 mins. I generally toss in the dessicated coconut, cumin seeds and the chillies in the water too, just to make it easier to grind in my very delicate blender.
  2. Heat some oil in a pan and saute the veggies and reserve or blanch some spinach or collard greens.
  3. Grind the soaked ingredients to a coarse paste by adding sufficient water.
  4. Add this to the buttermilk along with some salt and the veggies or greens or the steamed dal dumplings/besan bajjis and heat the whole thing on medium heat.
  5. Don't let it boil, but just until it raises up and then turn off the heat.
  6. Season it by spluttering some mustard seeds, and curry leaves in coconut oil.
Sit back and enjoy every morsel of rice had along with this extremely delightful and soothing dish !! Pair it with this for a absolutely wonderful combo and you can use the same steamed dal as dumplings for the pulusu :-)

Steamed, coarsely pulsed chana dal, toor dal and red chilli dumplings. recipe??



14 thoughts:

FH said...

I love this dish.After all the cookies I am baking,it's such a relief to even to look at this dish!:))Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Priya
I do mor kuzhambhu with okra often. Your steamed dal dumplings is a new concept to me. I like to try the combo.Thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe for MorKuzhambu Priya ! have never tried it with dumplings yet.

Anonymous said...

Priya, I love Kadi, looks great, I must try your recipe...many thanks for sharing.

Lakshmik said...

Mor Kozhambu is so comforting and reminds you of home. Thanks for reminding us. I make it almost the same way.

Krithika said...

Dumplings with mor kuzhambu ??? wow ! I love it. Great recipe

Anonymous said...

Looks great Priya !! I was browsing for holiday themes n wordpress and found this. Pretty, isnt it !

KA said...

Priya
Majjiga pulusu looks great! This dish has always been on my comfort foods list.

Nabeela said...

i love the snowflakes falling down...you guys are so efficient with html coding...I don't even know how to add a recipe index(drop down menu)....
oh! if you know anything about it, can you please e-mail me Priya?

Nabeela said...

thanks for the e-mail and the code Priya. I added a drop down menu finally after so many requests from readers...all thanks to you :)
Take a look at the menu when you get time...I'm just so proud of it :D

Shah cooks said...

Intersting recipe> i am surely gonna try this.BTW, love ur snow flakes..Wish u and ur family a very hapy holiday!HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Mor kulambu. Will try it.
Love the snow flakes too. BTW thanks for adding mine along your blog lists.

Happy holidays
-JJ

Anonymous said...

Hello Priya

Mor Kuzhambus is one of my favourite to go with the rice.
An interesting version using Vazhaithandu Micro wave method:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/33878-post138.html

Ramki said...

Hi Priya,

I've blogged your Morekuzhambu as a model recipe in the 1001 South Indian curry cookbook at
http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com

/Thanks for the detailed recipe

Ramki

Blogging tips