Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Kandipappu Oorupindi/ Toor Dal Chutney

Kandipappu oorupindi and Menthula pulusu is as good a combo as pesarattu-upma or channa bhatura. One always accompanied the other in my mom's cooking. I dont know if anyone else uses the word 'oorupindi' for such a preparation. None of my friends recognise the word, but thats the way this dish has been called in our house. Well, I tried making this combo today and it turned out pretty good. The chutney takes just a few minutes to make. By the time the ingredients cooled down and were ready to blend I made aloo fry and menthula pulusu to accompany them. The best way to eat this chutney is to mix rice and chutney and eat it with the pulusu on the side. The chutney+pulusu combo goes really well with curd rice too. Do try it out and let me know how you guys like it.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup - Toor dal
  • 2 nos - Red chillies
  • 5 nos - black peppercorns
  • 2 tsp - Oil
  • Salt to taste
Procedure:

  1. In a pan, heat the oil and roast the dal till it turns a dark red color and transfer to a dish. Be careful not to burn the dal.
  2. Next add the red chillies and black pepper corns and roast till the chillies turn a darker shade.
  3. Cool the all the ingredients and add little water to soak the dal. This is to make the dal soft so it can be made into a smooth paste.
  4. Once the dal has become slightly soft, blend all the ingredients with salt added. The mixture need not be very smooth in texture.


Announcement:
There is going to be a new addition to my blog, my Mother will also be posting recipes here. She is equipped with all the the great recipes and a wonderful camera to do justice to her cooking. And so I declare myself the loser, no competitions here ;-) hehe

Jihva for ingredients

10 thoughts:

Dilip said...

hmmm....i never heard that before...methulu pulusu has been my fav for years....oorupindi is telegu word...wonder wat it is called in tamil...maybe i will know???

Priya
Its a wonderful combo Dilip, do try it out. As u can see the recipe is very simple. I think there shud be a Tamil equivalent for the word, will ask my mom abt it.

Anonymous said...

we do use the oorupindi term in my house too.sounds like a good combination.
dilip i guess its thuvayal in tamil..

Priya
Welcome to my blog Arsu. Do try this combo and thanks for Tamil word, it completely skipped my mind :-)

Vineela said...

Hi Priya,
I like this .My grandmom used to do this.
thanks for the recipe.
Vineela

Vineela said...

Hi Priya,
I like this .My grandmom used to do this.
thanks for the recipe.
Vineela

Priya
My pleasure Vineela, try this with the pulusu, I will be posting the recipe for it next.

Anonymous said...

Nice chutney recipe Priya !
We make paruppu thogayal , very similar to this.

Iam eagerly looking forward to your mom's recipes :)

Priya
Thogayal and oorupindi seem to be the tamil and telugu names for this dish. I am looking forward to her posts too :-) They shud be up in a few days !

Kitchenmate said...

Priya: Congrats on your blog pal. It looks lovely...cool template hah..
Thogayal looks yummy and hope to see yum recipes from you and mom. Sorry for this very late visit, been little tight here:)

Priya
Thanks coming Karthi, I guessed u were a little busy as I dint see any new post. Vishruth looks soo cuteeee :-) I have been working on the template for sometime now. Dint know it was such a lot of work :-)

Krithika said...

Your paruppu thogayal looks really nice. Looking forward to your mother's recipes

Priya
Thank u Krithika, and the recipe's shud be up soon :-)

Anonymous said...

hmmm..so Aunty is up..good going aunty..papam priya!!!

Anonymous said...

your plate looks very yammy

Ani said...

Hi Priya .. Very nice authentic traditional recipes. Kandipapu oorpindia and Menthulu pulsu is a great combination to relish. My mom also makes this and once in 15 days we need to have some oorpindi in our house. Looks like some of these traditional item recipes that you have posted are cooked the same way like my mom cooks. I was pleseantly surprised to see the recipe for oorpini on your blog when I googled for it. Thanks -Anitha Narayan

Blogging tips