Thursday, February 26, 2009

Potato and Bell Pepper hash

Dear foodies,

I usually tend to buy most of my vegetables fresh, specially the ones on this list. I just love the taste and flavor of fresh produce, well, I can't help myself when I see their pretty colors in the store. And for the most part I enjoy the prep work too. Bringing out the big wooden cutting board, my dear santoku knife and going chop chop like a pro is soo much fun :) I have a small stock of canned beans in my pantry (note-to-self: start buying dried beans instead!) and the freezer usually has frozen corn, peas, lima beans, edamame and Indian vegetables which I don't usually get in their fresh form. The only ready to eat, processed item will be a pack of frozen parathas and a box of burger patties for a lazy day. Recently an intruder stepped in..... a bag of frozen hash brown potatoes, the grated kind.

I don't cook much with potatoes, but I love making hash browns. They are mighty easy to put together with fresh potatoes. I used to make them often during the last few months in school. Those were the days of 'no-routine', my roomie and I would come home late from the lab and watch some silly comedy show on TV. And ofcourse we would be attacked by those midnight snack monsters. This is how I made them - heat a pan with a spray of oil, grate and lightly squeeze the water out of the potatoes, toss in some salt, chilli powder and turmeric. Layer them on the pan and press together like a pancake. Leave it alone for 3-4 mins so they get crisp, spray oil on the other side and flip. Let that roast and crisp up too. Mean while get the plate ready with a huge dollop of ketchup and settle down with the warm hash's. So with the same intention I had a small bag of potatoes sitting in my pantry these past months. The hash cravings are so rare now though and potatoes grow eyes and ears and some times rot by the time I get to them! The smell of which is the worst ever, a good contestant for WMD's. And so... I sneaked in a bag of frozen hash browns on my last grocery trip. Here's how I used them,
Potato and Bell pepper hash
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup - frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
  • 1/4 cup - green & red bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1/4 tsp - Turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp - Red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp - Garlic, grated
  • 1/4 tsp - Chaat masala (optional)
  • 2 tsp - Olive oil
  • Salt to taste
Method:
  1. Thaw the frozen potatoes, I usually microwave them for a minute or two. Heat a shallow pan, with the oil, on medium high heat. Add the diced bell peppers, garlic, and red pepper flakes and saute for a few minutes.
  2. Once they slightly soften, add the hash brown potatoes and salt. Cook undisturbed for 4 mins so the potatoes roast and get a crisp golden exterior, stir to toos/flip them around and cook for 3-4 more mins (or until you are satisfied with the texture, half the dish vanished at this point :D )
  3. Garnish with chopped cilantro, a pinch of chaat masala and a dollop of hot & sweet tomato ketchup on the side.
I also toasted acouple of slices of bread, drizzled with a lil olive oil. When they are still hot rub them with a clove of garlic. I had some roasted red bell pepper chutney to spread over it and a bowl of grapes to join the party. Settled into my couch with this plate, I was ready for a movie marathon :) Its quick to put together and the veggie and spice combination is upto you. It could also serve as a perfect weekend breakfast/brunch.

Whats your favorite movie night meal ?

24 thoughts:

Manju said...

bellpeppers with hashbrowns!! wow, what a combo!! i sometimes make hashbrowns for breakfast with eggs and toast..next time will remember to add some peppers!

Pavani said...

I remember buying frozen hashbrowns with peppers; that's laziness to the maximum. Your recipe looks easy and healthy. Thanks for the informative link on fresh fruits & veggies. My husband loves to make Egg fried rice for movie nights. :D

Unknown said...

Looks very tasty, I like hashbrowns.. nice combo with red peppers.

A_and_N said...

Cheese dip? LOL

I love what you've done here, Priya. Will try this for brunch this weekend

karuna said...

looks sooo good. loved the pic

KonkaniBlogger said...

Thats a delicious looking platter there, would love to dig rite in..

Suparna said...

Looks cool!Thanks for the link.The pic looks so inviting...yumm

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Priya this looks incredible. I love the simplicity yet the great flavors!

Vani said...

The cafeteria in my previous company served a potato/green & red pepper/onion hash. Your picture reminded me of that. Looks great, Priya!

Sia said...

lazy mid-night food? it used to be maggi noodles till one day i turned the pack around and saw the amount of calories i was happily gorging! now, it's fruits and sometime choco bars. i simply can't resist them :)
and loved ur simple potato and pepper hash.

Anonymous said...

Real great combo, priya. I used to buy those hasbrowns for those craving, no not midnight, but for weekend brunches... have some leftover in the freezer, & some colored bell peppers too.

Namratha said...

Wow Priya, that hashbrown looks lip smacking good....I am up for hashbrowns anytime! :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm favorite movie night dinner? Has to be some pasta put together in a no time and some good wine to go with it.
Love the colorful hash!

Anonymous said...

Its soooooooo tempting,would love to join you with a plate of these lovely bites and some real comedy stuff on Tv :-)

Sonia said...

ok, i made this. but it turned out all sticky and gooey. maybe cos i didn't use the frozen hash browns?

My fav movie meal is pizza, cos some things just don't change!

Vidhya said...

i love to eat hashbrowns but never had it with bell peppers. Looks really tempting. will try it soon

Gayathri said...

mouth watering dish...

Nirmala said...

Oh Priya....Oh Priya...I love that platter and imagining a movie night with that plate some lmonade on the side would be heavenly. I would prefer my favorite book instead of a movie..I simply long for such a time! the hashbrowns with belle pepper sound wonderful..Am thinking of making it for my lil one this weekend..

Laavanya said...

How delicious does that look... I sometimes get the hashbrown patties but never this grated version.

Sharmila said...

Love that plate ... and all your pics Priya! :-)

Premyscakes said...

I can feel the flavour and test of the dish.

Malar Gandhi said...

Sounds like a unique combo...love it.

Priya said...



I am happy to see that all of you liked the combo! Do give it a try and let me know how you liked it :) Thank you for the yummy idea too :D

Sonia, Even I think using the freshly grated potatoes caused the difference. The frozen ones remain separated even when thawed and retain most of their shape after cooking. That is tough to achieve with freshly grated potatoes since they have a lot of water content. Even the kind of potato used will effect the texture. Yukon gold might be better than Idaho. Using a grater with large holes might help too. Thanks for the feedback :)

Suganya said...

I am so making this for brunch this weekend .

Blogging tips