Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cauliflower stir fry

Dear foodies,

Though NaBloWriMo is successfully out of the way I still feel a slight urge to blog every night, the routine got stuck, but only part of my brain was going through that hangover though, the other half was really tired and lazy to do anything :) I have been peacefully going around blogs and trying to catch up on the recipes posted by all of you. I don't comment much because quite often I arrive really late at the entries and then just skip the comment form and get to the next post. Cauliflower was one veggie I saw in multiple blogs and it made me realize that it has been ages since I cooked with it. The last I remember was a roasted cauliflower soup that I made earlier this year when the cold weather was still sticking around , may be it was an overdose of this yummy kheema I was making then. Oh no, there was this pav-bhaji in between.

I went straight from work to the store a few days back, and brought home a tiny cauliflower and set out to make a simple curry/bhaji that my mom often made, its simple and flavorful. Here's how you do it...

Ingredients:
  • 1 tiny cauliflower ~25-30 florets
  • -- Start off with bigger florets so you have decently sized ones after you are done stirring and cooking them :)
  • 1 nos - medium sized, Tomato, diced
  • 1/4 cup - sliced Onions
  • 6-7 slivers of sliced ginger
  • 1/2 tsp - Cumin seeds/ jeera
  • 1/2 tsp - Turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp - red Chili powder
  • 1 tsp - Garam masala
  • 2 tsp - lime juice (optional)
  • Salt to taste
  • Coriander leaves for garnish
Method:
  1. Heat oil in a wide, non-stick pan and splutter cumin seeds. Add the turmeric and 1/4 tsp of chilli powder to the oil, this gives the curry a nice red color. Next add the sliced onions immediately and saute until they turn a light brown color, add the ginger.
  2. The chopped tomatoes go in next and cook until they soften and loose shape. Mix in the rest of the red chilli powder and garam masala and saute till the spices loose their raw smell ~5mins
  3. Meanwhile wash and soak the cauliflower florets in water with some vinegar added to it (helps kill any insects/worms in them, salting the water is another way, as Anita mentioned in the comments.). Drain and place them on a plate and microwave for 3mins.
  4. Once the onion-tomato mix is fully cooked, add about 1-2Tbsp of water and the florets. Mix to coat them evenly with the spices, add salt, cover and cook on medium heat for 10-15mins, stirring in between to avoid charring.Keep the stirring to a minimum to keep the florets intact, toss the pan carefully instead.
  5. Once they turn tender, uncover and cook on high heat for 2-3mins to evaporate any left over water. Garnish with coriander leaves and lime juice (if tomatoes aren't tangy enough) and serve with warm chapthi's or rice.
I love the simple spices in this curry and its the cauliflower that shines through against the tanginess from the tomatoes (or lime juice). When I was at the store I also picked up some whole wheat pita bread to use instead of chapathi's, I was so not in a mood to make some that night. I used them as a filling in my pita pockets making it fun to eat too. You can surely pair it with a simple pulao or plain rice. I went back to the store y'day to get another cauliflower because the curry got over well before my tastebuds could be satisfied :)

28 thoughts:

anudivya said...

You wanna blog every night? We will be more than happy to see them!
The pan in which the stir fry is looks so pretty! ;)

Sonia said...

Nice and simple style of Cauliflower subji. And your serving pan looks so nice.
Keep posting. :)

Uj said...

Hey love this :) I too make it the same way!

Indian Food Rocks said...

There is always NaBloPoMo.

Worms. Eww. It's why I don't like to buy fresh cauliflowers!

Anita said...

...that's why you should start with "2 medium sized cauliflowers - about 2 lbs..." :-D

A tip I heard for dealing with worms - soak/rinse the florets in salted water - the worm should float to the top (probably dead...?).

sunita said...

We are always ready for this...looks lovely :-)

Priya said...


Anu, that was a fleeting thought ;) I can never blog everyday! Its a tiny 6" dia pan (similar to this I bought. Convenient for tadka, and tiny portions of stir fries for me and its cute :)

Sonu, I have another cauliflower waiting to be used now. thank you :)

Uj, its such a no frills recipe na..

Manisha, no more NaBlo's for me, done with this year's quota :D I don't like the frozen one :( I only buy peas, edamame and corn frozen.

Anita, hehehe :D My mom uses salt, I read the vinegar tip somewhere and use either one. Will add it to the post.

Sunita, it was really good, I had it for two dinners and a lunch and got another cauliflower immediately :D

Anonymous said...

Looks really yummy.

deepu said...

Simple recipe presented in the most beautiful way I have seen. Great snaps and yes the pan.. a woman can never have enough pans and serving dishes ..right ?
Nice Site.

Sangeeth said...

looks yum! and as anu said luv ur vessel!

Bhawana said...

Priya this stir fry vegetable looks mouthwtareing.... Loved it.

Kalai said...

Love this simple side dish! Looks amazing! :)

DK said...

I may not be doing Na.... thing, but this RM that I am running will probably make me end up feeling the same way after this month. The cauliflower resting the kadai is so appetising :)

Baskaran said...

Looks yummy!! The colour of the subzi is tempting. Thanks for the tips
Baskaran

amna said...

i make it pretty much same way except that i add ginger garlic paste :)

Anonymous said...

Real easy one. I do it this way too sometimes, except adding sliced ginger. liked the tip of adding turmeric etc to oil to enhance color & adding lime juice.

eeeewwww.. never thought of worms.. but now i do remember seeing them back in India. never saw one here, but now i will be on look out.

the handi is real cute. i had one, but i do not know what happened over the years, but my plant is siting in that now!!

R said...

I would like to inspire you -
Check this

mallugirl said...

aw.. just made a cauliflower dish and then saw urs..its looks so colorful and spicy.

Sharmi said...

hey Priya, my cauliflowers always go sloppy ang has a smell. this way of microwaving is a great idea. thanks for sharing.

Priya said...


Aparna, thank you :)

Deepu, you are right about the pans, I avoid going to stores that sell them cos I know I will end up buying otherwise!

Sangeeth, its my new fav in the kitchen now :)

Bhawana, Kalai,thank you :)

DK, all you guys are just amazing, I got bored doing recipes posts everyday and started the weekend funnies thing so I don't get overwhelmed! :D

Bhaskaran, Welcome! glad you liked the tips :)

Nags, at my home my mom rarely uses GG paste and I kinda got that from her :D

Priya said...


Soma, plants in a handi :)) Nice way of using them. And I added ginger too, forgot about it cos the taste did not come thru much :P
I had bought some organic pudina a few months back and it had plenty of bugs, so every time I buy organic produce I am extra cautious about cleaning them. But luckily, I haven't found any till now.

Ramya, Thank you! :)

Mallugirl, what did you make ? I have another one to use up now :)

Sharmi, cauliflowers tend to have enough water in them to cook them through, so try the microwave and also adding salt during the initial stage will draw out the water in them, and will help cook them completely without the need for extra water.
Also stirring makes them mushy, I toss the pan instead and do very light stirring...and they do smell funky sometimes, adding ginger helps negate that a bit, I think.

Mansi said...

yum Priya! something so simple has never looked any better! maybe the worms had something to do with it??!!:)D hehehe

btw, you could send this in for my vegetarian thanskgiving recipe event!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi priya ..
First time to ur blog ..Wow u have a great blog .. mouthwatering recipes.. Keep posting more and more delicious dishes
Cauliflower fry looks yummy ..willtry this for sure ...
Keep up the good work :)
love
veena

Sanghi said...

Great Priya! Remind me of amma's cauliflower fry. Love ur blog. Visit my blog too and let me know ur comments and suggestions.

Nithya Praveen said...

This looks so yummy...reminded me of my Mom's recipe.Good one Priya:-)

Anonymous said...

Cauliflower stir-fry

Thanks for the receipe.

My trick for a crunchy cauliflower. Simmer water in a pan with pinch of salt. Then add the cauliflower florets, let it cook for less than 5mins. Drain and immediately submerge them to the icy cold water for 10mins, and drain again. This method stops the cooking process in the vegetable. (chinese trick to have crunchy vegetables)

Vinay said...

Love this and everything on this blog. you saved this grad student...
Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Blogging tips