Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cracked...

Dear foodies,

Kya aisa bhi hota hai ?

My mother made gojju, to be used in making pulihora/tamarind rice later. I was out of plastic containers and stored it in this stainless steel davara/bowl. A week later I check on it and find this! hmmm...wrong choice

Update: My friend Ashwin saw my blog post and explained to me why the bowl cracked, here it is in his own words "The tartaric acid from Gojju forms a brittle intermediate with the Carbon content in Steel. A temperature gradient will accentuate any possible crack formation during this chemical process. Like taking the davara out of the fridge would be a good enough reason for the crack to proliferate",
So there, you know the science behind the crack now try deciphering the meaning behind his poems :)




P.S: On a totally different note, do you remember that show on DD, Aisa bhi hota hai...they would cover weird tidbits from around the world...

17 thoughts:

Unknown said...

Seriously..aisa bhi hota hai kya?..i made same gojju last week, but thankfully stored it ina plastic container!

Arundathi said...

thats incredible. a stainless steel bowl cracked? how strange.

Rachel said...

am surprised..and a steel bowl?

Indian Food Rocks said...

Get your money back. Seriously demand it. Tch! Not from your mother! What is wrong with you! She meant well. From the makers of that steel bowl.

Srivalli said...

hheh...manisha can crack anybody seriously!!!...jokes apart, it could happen ..:)

SMN said...

Hey Priya get the receipt of payment and i will fight it for u including ur mental harrssment....

bee said...

did you freeze it? that's a really cool pic.

Sangeeth said...

oh god!it happens yaar... i have seen it in my house......

Priya said...


I had no idea stainless steel could crack this way.

Maheswari, good for you! I was totally shocked.

Arundhati, and the cracks were such perfect lines!

Rachel, me too! My mom never stores her pickles in metal containers, but gojju, we did not know!

Manisha, maa pe doubt, tch tch tch, very bad! the complaint will be lodged on my next trip to Cincinnati!

Srivalli,lol, she's gonna get you! Could happen with pickles perhaps, cos of the chilli powder but tamarind gojju too?

SMN, hehe, not possible for this one, I bought it 8 months back!

Bee, I did not freeze it, it was in the regular refrigerator section covered with a plastic wrap. Kaput go my plans for a proper degree coffee photo!

Bhawana said...

Priya no idea why this happens but it happened with me twice. I left tea in steel glass and we went out for a weekend trip. After coming back I saw that glass was cracked like urs pic. I literally dint get just three days tea was there in the glass as I forgot to clean it and steel glass cracked.

Cham said...

I had a stain steel bowl which cracked,only one crack ! But not like this one ...Really amazing...

Lavanya Raj said...

Thanks for posting the Cracked vessel..otherwise i would not have belieaved..i would have tried also!

Anonymous said...

This is interesting! I would never have believed stainless steel can crack because of a little acidity :(

TBC said...

hmmm... I was going to say the same thing that Ashwin said. ;-D

I remember Aisa bhi hota hain- it was hosted by this cute & bubbly girl (whose name I forget now) along with some guy.

Pooh said...

Goodness! The cracked steel is kinda spooky! But it made for a great picture!

TheCooker said...

Long ago, I put a (new) steelplate into the dishwasher and after the wash cycle retrieved a completely cracked thingy!
The gojju looks good, btw.

Jaya said...

Trust Ashwin to come up with these explanations... But yes, a cup of mine cracked up a few years back... I can't remember if it was because of the heat or the cold! But the Gojju looks yumm :)

Blogging tips