Monday, May 05, 2008

Risotto...finally!

Dear Foodies,

Having seen many many recipes for risotto on blogs and the high praise that is showered on this dish, I just had to try it out. So off I went to the store one fine day and picked up some Arborio rice...and so the story ended! Yes, that box of rice was sitting on my pantry shelf for more than 2 months without complaints!! Last week I finally decided it was time to bring it out, I was out of fresh vegetables and the Risi e Bisi photo flashed past my mind.

So I checked their recipe, realized I had just about everything needed and set out making the risotto before the moment passed! I used frozen peas and arborio rice .... and sprinkled some (gulp) chole masala (!!) .....I also skipped the cheese & the parsley, apart from that ;) the recipe is intact and so check the recipe here. I am not a huge fan of mint but I absolutely loved its flavor in this recipe, it was wonderful. Thank you Bee & Jai!

Now, you cannot possibly take a photo without garnishing the dish first, right? So I brought out some baby carrots, chopped them up into little flower-like shapes, decorated the risotto with it and took the pictures. Later when I took a bite of the risotto with the carrots, I loved the crunch...so... I hurriedly diced up some more carrots and added it to the risotto. I had it with some yogurt for dinner, Absolutely lovely! Now that the box has been opened, I am surely going to try out other flavors soon.

Since this is my first time ever making or eating risotto, I am not sure if the consistency was perfect. The rice grains were a little sticky but also had a slight bite to them. I hope that is how its supposed to be, cos I liked it that way :D It was wonderful hot off the stove, but the next day since I had refrigerated it by then, I had trouble liking the consistency, because re-heating it in the microwave made it dry and yet sticky....it probably needs a little stock when re-heated. Any suggestions ?

Happy Monday!

21 thoughts:

bha said...

I must say the risotto looks awesome with such fine work of garnishing. Well the first time i made it, it didnt look half as good as this one

notyet100 said...

looks delicious,..

Deepa Kuber said...

lovely presentation n picture.. recipe sounds delicious..

Tee said...

Looks delicious! Loved the carrot flowers :)

Mansi said...

Risotto is so simple to make and yet has nice flavors! great job with the recipe and the pics:)

Unknown said...

looks too good n yum

ranji said...

i have never tried risotto..but been meaning to one day!!!this looks delicous..loved the presentation...

bee said...

did it have a wave? like this?

http://jugalbandi.info/2007/08/rossito-the-better-risotto/

then the consistency was right. :D

bee said...

why is your comments section wishing us a merry christmas?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful capture,
and the risotto is getting me drooling!

Awesome and thanks for sharing!
:-)

Priya said...


Bhags, may be it was beginners luck on my side this time! Lets see how it goes the next time ...hehe

notyet100, Thank you :)

Anjali, Thank you! Do try making risotto's if you haven't already.

Tee, My father taught me that, we used to take care of the salad plate at home and I loved playing arnd with the veggies.

Mansi, I realized that only after trying this one! With my arborio and brown rice expts, I can stay away from the Indian varieties that are facing a shortage..

Divya, it tasted yummm too. Just din't like it that much out of the fridge :(

Ranji, Thank you! You must surely give it a try NOW :)

Bee, aahhh...so that was what was missing touch! Will add the ripples next time :) And thanks for finally pushing me to change the comment greeting, I was just plain lazy !

Arun, Thank you soo much, drop by anytime and I'll welcome you guys with some of the warm risotto :)

Red Chillies said...

I have never tried risotto either, the one time I had it at an restaurant, I did not find it appetising. Maybe I need to try the blog version. Yours looks delish and lovely garnishing too.

Cham said...

Elegant touch with simple carrot to ur risotto, love the presentation :)

Arundathi said...

oh no - now i feel guilty. i have some arborio rice sitting in my pantry too. unopened and forlorn. maybe today's the lucky day. lovely pictures!

Srivalli said...

priya..lovely pictures..guess this requires lot of acrobats..:D..that sure is a mid way position!..hahah...

Suganya said...

Hi Priya...
Risotto looks YUM!... Turned out perfect... Nice recipe....DELISH!

Namratha said...

Wow, that looks delicious!!! :)

Kalai said...

Looks simple and delicious, Priya! Nice recipe. :)

Suganya said...

I do sneak in various masala in crazy different dishes. They somehow taste good, don't they?

Anonymous said...

wow looks yummy and tasty

Priya said...


RC, I cannot speak abt the restaurant risottos cos I haven't had them myself, but you must try it at home. Its very simple and you can totally suit them to your tastes.

Thanks Cham! :)

Yay to risotto Arundhati. You can do it! :D

Srivalli LOL!

Thank you Sukanya, Namratha and Kalai :)

Suganya, Three cheers to the Masala Sneakers!! :P A little masala does perk up the dishes, I just could not stop myself from doing it :))

Abhijeet, Thanks for dropping by :)

Blogging tips