Thursday, November 08, 2007

Happy Deepavali

Dear Foodies,
Happy Deepavali !

I made a teeny tiny batch of goodies for Deepavali. I plan to visit my friends in Cincinnati over the weekend and the thought of getting back to my guinea pigs..err friends sent me right into the kitchen. I made Thokkudu laddu/bandar laddu which is a Telugu delicacy. Going by the look, you guys can guess that they aren't perfect...but the taste was really close to the one's I remember enjoying. For the savory part, I planned to make maida biscuits, but realised I did not have any maida ! So I went blog hopping and went back to this recipe that I have eyeing for quite sometime. I did not have urad dal either, but made some by dry roasting some urad dal and used my trusty spice grinder to do the rest. I made simple rods with the dough. I could not get them to stick to the round shape and dint try too hard either.

Thank you Pavani and Shammi ! Both these recipes are extremely well written and took the apprehension off my mind. They are traditional recipes and Pavani & Shammi have done a great job of making them approachable.

I have been away from this space for longer than I had ever imagined. All your suggestions in the previous post have been dutifully followed :) I bought all stainless steel cookware and am looking for a good cast iron pan to invest on. The kitchen is the only place in the apartment that is fully equipped, well what else can you expect from a grad student who has a food blog ! I have my TV and a nice, HUGE papasan to snuggle into when I get back home in the evening...and yes a cozy bed. Thats it...nothing else :)) The bowl that you see in the photograph is from my neighbor, who got me some Deepavali goodies :) Lucky me ! I am going to get back to blogging regularly from now on. Its a whole new experience to cook for one person. I am struggling to manage the quantities and am thoroughly enjoying all the experimentation ! So theres lots to share with you guys :)

Have loads of fun, and those of you who get to fire crackers, please go ahead and light up a few more for me :) Happy Feasting !!

17 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,
Wish you n your family a very happy Deepavali.

Nabeela said...

Have fun cooking for one! I have some good vegetarian recipes that cook for just one or two. If you want, I can e-mail them to you.

bee said...

happy deepavali to you, priya.

Nupur said...

Happy Deepavali to you too, Priya! Sending lots of good wishes your way...

Sia said...

happy deepavali to u priya... good to see u back:)

Rachna said...

happy deepavali to you priya.......

FH said...

Happy Deepavali to you and your's Priya, goodies look delicious!:))

Suganya said...

Hope to see more of your recipes..err.. experiments, Priya. Happy Diwali!

Vasu said...

Happy Deepavali priya,

Hope this year brings you lots of happiness.I have been a regular reader of your blog and have tried out quite a few things from here..they have all turned out to be great.

I wanted to know what stainless steel set you got since i have been looking for one.I was wondering if its easy2 clean all the burnt stuff from stainless steel vessals??

Mandira said...

Happy Diwali Priya! Have fun with your friends :)

Namratha said...

Hi Priya, Happy Diwali!! Nice goodies :)

Anonymous said...

It was great to see Akshayapaatram light up again in my feeds! Happy Diwali to you, too!

Don't struggle with trying to cook for one person. Cook for at least two. Several advantages to that: you can freeze one potion for a day when you come home really tired or when a friend drops in, you have enough for both of you or when you finally make your parents happy (stop screaming at me!), you don't have to go through this struggle all over again!

Have a great weekend celebrating with friends, Priya! Lots of love and hugs to you!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Happy Diwali Priya!::)

Sagari said...

happy diwali and

Arun Shanbhag said...

Priya:

Wishing you a wonderful Diwali!
btw, those laddos may look irregular, but they sure look enticing!

My mom sends only the laddoo powder already made and I get to make the laddoo balls. They don't come out spherical, but sure tasty yummy and remind me of home.

And, goodluck with grad school.

Priya said...


Thank you all for your Deepavali wishes. I had a quiet yet wonderful weekend with my frnds.

Nabeela, I would love to get those recipes.

Vasudha, Bee had suggested I go to a local restaurant supply store and get individual pans. I only need to pans, one small enough to make tea/coffee or rasam and one slightly bigger. So I did not look for a set. I got the bigger sized pan with lid from the restaurant supply store. I also got India style spoons/ladles, spoon & fork set and lots of other fun stuff. The smaller one is from TJMAXX, it was the Wolfgang Puck brand. Tjmaxx has a very nice assortment of kitchen utensils, stainless steel and cast iron.

Manisha, my mom reads my blog toooo...don't go about supporting her now !! Sssshhhhhhh

Arun, thats a very nice idea. I can make the powder, but making the laddo is my main problem. but well, if you have mom's powder who cares about the shape :)) For now I am waiting for my mom's sambar & rasam powders to reach me :)

Priya said...

Vasudha, cleaning them has been a breeze as of now. I hardly need to scrub them at all

Blogging tips