Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Decked up Maggi noodles

Dear Foodies,

You might be thinking why a recipe and an entire post for Maggi ! Everyone loves it and surely make it at home. Its a newbies comfort food that they whip up with confidence. Well, the reason is until I ate Maggi made by someone other than I mom, I din't realize that cooking Maggi wasn't the same for everyone. It is a universal dish but with a uniqueness added by each one. In my home the first time we had it was when my uncle introduced it to us. Maggi as I know always has onions, carrots and tomatoes with peas paying an occasional visit, just the way the picture on the packet shows it. Maggi cooked plainly in the the masala was unimaginable to me and still is :)) A friend of mine makes a Maggi upma similar in style to the usual Rava Upma. I'll tell you about that in a little while.

Once you see how well are Maggi noodles can be decked up, I am sure you will not think of the plain maggi masala one :) On to my recipe now,

Thats my new Faberware Santoku knife, absolutely love it
Ingredients:

For one pack of Maggi,
  • 1/2 cup - Red onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cup - Tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup - Carrots, julienned
  • 1/2 cup - Green peas
  • 1 nos - Green chilli, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp - Turmeric powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • Coriander leaves for garnish
  • 1 Tbsp - Oil
For extra zing: One or more of
  • 1 tsp - Chilli powder
  • 2 tsp - Maggi Hot n Sweet ketchup
  • 2 tsp - masala from your favorite pickle (Tomato/Mango/Red chilli)
  • 1 Tbsp -Roasted peanuts
  • 1 tsp - Ginger-garlic paste
Method:
  1. Heat oil in a pan and roast the peanuts first if using them. Then add the green chillies and onions. Add turmeric and saute till the onions turn translucent (add the ginger-garlic paste if using )
  2. Add the tomatoes and carrots next. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy and the carrots become tender.
  3. Next add the masala that comes with the noodles, salt and 2 1/4 cups of water(or as indicated + 1/4 cups for the veggies) and cover with a lid.
  4. Once the water comes to a boil add the peas and Maggi noodles and cook until all the water evaporates or gets absorbed by the noodles. Add the ketchup or the pickle masala when half the water has evaporated. The noodles should be soft must smash easily when pressed between your fingers.
  5. Turn off the stove when you can still see a little water like a gravy coating the noodles if you like to slurp your noodles. Garnish with coriander leaves &/or Lime juice and enjoy your bowl of comfort :)

This is my favorite way of eating Maggi, there is flavor bursting out of every noodle strand, not to mention all the memories stuck to it. The veggies add a lot of flavor and color making it a lot more appetizing. The volume of dish also gets doubled making the more number of servings per packet. The ketchup and pickle addition gives the maggi soo much flavor and its also deliciously spicy :) If you have not tried this version do try it....you are sure to love it.

And as I mentioned earlier my dear friend makes her Maggi - Upma style, including the initial roasting part. In a pan dry roast the Maggi noodles my breaking them lengthwise and browning them on all sides. They burn easily so keep a careful watch. Once that is done, transfer them to a plate, heat some oil and make a tadka of Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Chana dal, Green chillies and curry leaves next add water, Maggi masala and let the water come to a boil. Add the roasted Maggi noodles and cook until done. This is such a wonderful variation of cooking Maggi. The browning of the noodles adds a lot of flavor to the final dish. Do try this version too.

So there you go, two of my versions for our dear 2 minute Maggi Noodles...now its your turn to tell me yours :)

26 thoughts:

Pavani said...

Hi Priya, Yummy looking Maggi noodles. One of my cousin used to add whatever left over chutneys or curries he can find to Maggi and the dish used to turn out really delicious (but he could never recreate his own creations unfortunately :o)) Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try both ur versions.

bee said...

i always throw away the maggi masala. it's way too salty for my liking. since maggi doesn't taste like 'maggi' without the masala, we stopped buying altogether.

Suma Gandlur said...

Looks delicious. I prepare it in the same way as you mentioned.

Jyothi said...

Hi Priya! I will prepare maggi only with broken cashewnuts and maggi masala. Only 2 ingredients only i will use to prepare. We love it. Sometimes I will prepare with carrot, beans too.... but that is rarely. yours recipe tempting a lot. I will try this next time. Thanks for sharing.

http://andhraspicy.blogspot.com
http://cookeryvideos.blogspot.com

Aravind said...

damn! now i need to buy Maggi noodles from somewhere ASAP:)

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
This maggi looks very yummy!!!! the extra zing is a very good idea!!

Suganya said...

I love making maggi pulao style. I add a tsp of the masala it comes with. Tastes amazing.
My mom will not eat maggi unless it is cooked upma style.
Glad that I am not the only weird one.

Manasi said...

It's been a while since I had maggi! this looks gr8!

Sharmi said...

hmm my eyes fell on the knife first!! the noodles looks decked up for sure!! It was my childhood favorite. but now I got rid of it.

bha said...

Pics are inviting and make me hungry.......Maggi will always be my fav always

Namratha said...

Hi Priya, this recipe totally reminded me of my aunt, who introduced us to 'jazzed' up Maggi. Her kids love Maggi too but not with only the taste maker so she used to make her own version with garlic and chilli sauce. Your version sounds delicious and I'm surely trying this when I reach out for my next pack of Maggi:)

Seema Bhat said...

yes yes gimme a bowl of that. I am a maggi noodle fan and you picture makes me crave for it. Would be perfect for a cool fall day like today.

pooja tripathi said...

Hi Priya,Even I make it in the same way but i put ajwain in it as its flavor just suits the maggi taste.I was all excited to see your blog and recipe for maggi and happy to know that people do experiment with maggi in their own special way!!!

Anonymous said...

i used to have maggi earlier(3-4 times a week) but since Ching's range of manchurian and hot garlic instant noodles came to market completely shifted loyalty to those

Unknown said...

Hey thats one hellova recipe,you should also share it in the maggi site (www.meandmeri.in), i gotta say i didnt know theres so much more that can be done with maggi, the pictures you have used are mouthwatering, iv been checking out recipes people have shared at the Maggi site and have been on a roll since then, thats how i bumped into your blog and im glad i did, im gna try this out soon..thanks!

Anonymous said...

hey priyaa,

I will try this yaa. This is the first time i am going to prepare maggi noodles. Hope it will come well..

Thanks yaa

Anonymous said...

i used to like and consume maggi a lot earlier. but completely abandoned it lately. i am absolutely into Ching's instant noodles now. at ur hostel they have lately acquired a cult following. Ching's is available in manchurian, hot garlic, schezwan and roasted chicken garlic flavors. also they have tons of receipes at their website www.chingssecret.com

Unknown said...

hey thanx for that rocking recipe.. im surely going to try it.. you should share it with others on the Maggi fansite, www.meandmeri.in.

Unknown said...

hey thanx for that awesome recipe.. im surely going to try it just like the one's i got from www.meandmeri.in, u should check it out.. it has some great recipes!!

Unknown said...

hey priya great recipe...i was going through the maggi fansite and found other nice recipes..you should check it out.

Unknown said...

hey i was going through the maggi fansite, www.meandmeri.in, and found some amazing maggi recipes there...you should check it out!!

SE(Denufood) said...

hey i just happened to come across your website while searching for maggie noodles recipe..hey do visit my blog..i've a different variation of making it by soaking the noodles in water.

Unknown said...

This is best 2 minute meal invented EVER!!! And you have the freedom to prepare it in various types and try your culinary expertise to create a magical dish.

Courtesy - Freight Guru

Unknown said...

Flavorful delicious noodles looking wonderful!!
Thanks for the recipe :)

Medical Tourism India

JackOAllTrades said...

i made cheese chilli maggi recently and it turned out awesome, check the recipe on my blog

Ananaya said...


You shared very good blog love to read that and Are you in the mood to have some Indian Food In Sydney, such as masala dosa and tandoori chicken? In that case, it is only available at Castle Taj Indian restaurant.

Blogging tips