Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Pastaaa - Indian Ishtyle !!

Dear Foodies,


The pasta aisle in the grocery store always wins the game. I start out on my monthly shopping with a firm resolution that I wouldn't buy any pasta on this trip, but you will always see a new bag of it in my kitchen closets !! During my last visit, Orzo, the rice grain shaped pasta was the winner :-) My most favorite of them all is the tri-color Rotini, though they might be similar in taste to any other kind of pasta, the colored spirals are a treat to the eyes. Toss in some colored peppers and tomatoes and you have a masterpiece !!

This pasta recipe is the result of some gathered inspiration from a friends' recipe and my cravings for a spicy n quick breakfast on the weekends. Its very simple and a regular in my apartment. Since its a dish with no particular recipe that I stick too, I add anything that comes within my arms reach in the kitchen !!


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pack - Rotini, cooked as per instructions
  • 2 nos - Tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 nos - Onion, chopped
  • 1/2 nos - Capsicum, chopped
  • 1/2 cup - Lima beans (I used canned ones)
  • 1 1/2 tsp - red pepper seeds/Chilli powder
  • 2 Tbsp - Maggi Hot n Sweet sauce /Tomato ketchup
  • 3 tsp - Lime juice
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for sautéing (I used olive oil, the newbie in my kitchen :-) )
Procedure:
  1. Cook the pasta as per the instructions, add a few drops of oil to the boiling water to avoid sticky pasta.
  2. In a skillet heat some oil. Once hot, sprinkle some red pepper seeds and then the chopped onions and saute till translucent.
  3. Next comes the capsicum, once they are tender add the tomatoes and cook covered till the tomatoes cook. If using chilli powder, add it now.
  4. Mash the tomatoes a bit and add in the lima beans, salt and ketchup and cook covered for a few more minutes till it all comes together. Add a little water if required.
  5. Now toss in the pasta and stir to coat it well with the vegetables. Add more salt if required. cover and cook for a couple of minutes till the flavors blend into with the pasta.
  6. Turn off the heat and add the lime juice for a tangy twist and to complete the desi touch.



Notes:
  • I guess you could add any veggie of your choice to this dish. eg: carrots, peas, potatoes, french cut beans and also tofu or crumbled paneer if you have some.
  • You can also add some roasted peanuts for an extra crunch :-)
  • I add the Maggi hot n sweet ketchup for it to be extra hot, you can skip that if you are not huge spicy food fan. You could use plain ketchup while cooking instead and reserve the Maggi sauce for the bowl just before serving.
  • If you don't have the Maggi ketchup you could use a dash of green chilli sauce or tobasco sauce.

Now its over the Nandita's WBB event.


11 thoughts:

Pavani said...

Hi Priya,
I have been looking for recipes for pasta cooked in Indian style and voile.. you have one here. That looks really good. Will try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe Priya. Good entry to Nandita's event.

FH said...

Very clever twist! Looks delish!:))

Happy Hallowen!

Shah cooks said...

wow! pasta for breakfast? my little one would be so thrilled. I know exactly how u feel abt buying one more bag of pasta!

Nabeela said...

I LOVE pasta too!! They're so easy to cook and take so well to sauces!

Praba Ram said...

First time commenting on your blog. Found your site through Indira's. Nice pasta recipe. Would love to try. I know how you feel about the pasta aisle. Can totally relate to it, and also the craving to try new shapes - that's another one of my weaknesses! :-)

Thanks!
desimom

Anonymous said...

Interesting twist! Looks delicious :)

Priya said...


Pavani: glad my recipe got out on time to end your search. Let me know when u try it out.

Hema: Thank you

Asha: Thank you Asha, I would have had a happier Halloween if I had come trick or treating to ur place :-)

Shaheen: Let me know when u try it out,its such a versatile dish that u can add anything that will make ur lil one eat it :-)I am going to add ur stuffed tortilla's to my next treasure trove list.

Nabeela: I am yet to try your pasta recipes, havent got arnd to buying spaghetti yet..still stuck to the shaped ones and I noticed a chilli n peppers pasta dish that needs to reach my kithcen :-)

Prabha: I have tried most of the shapes now !! But havent got tired as yet !! :D

Mandira: Do give it a try ! I am going to try my hand with the frosting bag this weekend. I dont think I have to TRY making my cakes scary...they might most probably end up that way !!

Anonymous said...

Just this afternoon I made pasta for lunch. I wish I had seen your Indian Ishtyle ..:)recipe earlier in the day.

Good pics, Priya!

Anonymous said...

Rotinis are my favorite too...And i liked this twist..Great job..Priya

TNL said...

Nice!!! I too make Indian Style Pasta, but I add LOTS of dhania-jeera to it and grated garlic towards the end, somehow, it gives it that extra 'kick'...thanks for the Maggi ketchup tip, I haven't tried that but surely will!

Cheers,Trupti

Blogging tips