Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Green Plantain Chips

This is one of the most easiest dishes I have tried. I had read a lot of recipes for chips from other bloggers and also about the use of oven to make them. So when I found raw plantains in our grocery store I was eager to try some chips. I found that naking them not only saves you from using soo much oil but the chips also stay crisp for a longer time and hold the seasoning better.

Vegetables:
  • 2 nos - Green Plantains


Seasoning:
  • 2 tsp - Red Chilli Powder
  • 1 tsp - Turmeric Powder
  • 2 Tbsp - Oil
  • Salt to taste


Procedure:
  1. Scrape the thick outer skin of the plantains and slice them using a mandoline or you can do it with a knife too but make sure the slices are crisp.
  2. Preheat the oven to about 300deg C .
  3. Now toss the slices with oil, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and neatly arrange them on a baking dish.
  4. Place this in the oven. Check on them every 1 min after the initial 5 mins to see if they are done on one side. Take the baking dish out and flip the chips to cook them on both sides.
  5. Be sure to use gloves and dont forget that the chips are going to be hot too, not just the baking dish.
  6. Enjoy your chips :-)

Note:
  • The oven I used is a very old one and so I am not sure if the cooking time I have given can be used blindly. Feel free to modifythem as per your expereince
  • You can add some Asafoetida in the seasoning too.
  • Any kind of vegetable that can be made as chips can be prepared this way. eg: potatoes, bitter gourd, yam.
  • I used the same method for bitter gourd chips and they were very tasty. Only difference was I added some garlic salt in the seasoning.

9 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

pooooooooooooopppy..!!! just cant believe tht these r the recepies of our house.!!!!...very very professional way of presnting them....good keep it up..!!!!

Priya
Thanks Jari ! Even I am surprised ;)

Dilip said...

Yes, the presentation style is too good. And all the time you took to make the blog look right is worth it....i think i tasted those chips....they were great!!!

Priya
Thank you Dilip, I hope to add more color to the template soon. Nice to know u liked the chips too :-)

vish g said...

I want them when I am there. And I am investing in your future cooking website. 10% equity.

Priya
Thank you Vishnu, get ready for the board meetings along with some good food during your next visit ;-)

AshTray said...

I smell Silicon valley ;-)! Good job!

Priya
Your welcome to invest :-P

Anonymous said...

Those comments make a good read..lol.
Healthy plaintain chips...a hit in our home, Priya.

Priya
hehe..these are the frnds who bear with my experimentations in the kitchen :-) and encouraged me to start blogging.
The chips I made vanished in a couple of hours. No second rounds lol :-D

Krithika said...

First time to your blog. Very nice. Oven baked plantain chips ... yumm

Priya
Welcome ! They are really easy to make and store , do try them and let me know :-)

RP said...

That is a healthy way of making chips. First time to your blog....loved it.

Priya
Welcome RP, I'm trying to learn blog writing from all u bloggers. And the chips taste good cooked this way and its a whole lot easier too as u can do all of them in one lot unlike frying. Do give them a try.

Annita said...

Great blog Priya..Nice presentation..Looks very neta and elegant!!..Also your plantain chips look yummy..As I'm closer to ur place u can even send me some,huh?..Just kidding...:)

Priya,
Thank you Annita, I am still working on the template. I want to add some colors. :-) I would love to send you some chips, it some how feels good to know another blogger lives close-by :-) Those plantains are from Jungle Jims by the way :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this health conscious recipe!I am trying it out...waiting for the oven to chime!:)

Blogging tips