Friday, July 10, 2009

Breakfast time


Dear foodies,
Divya asked us all to show her what we have for breakfast. Breakfast is my undoing, I know I've said it before, but no matter how hard I try, things haven't changed. Weekdays I try to squeeze in a bowl of oatmeal or cereals or toasted bread with jam (which I eat in the car :D) From my trip to the farmers market last week, I got some freshly baked whole wheat bread, cucumbers, tomatoes and a lot of cilantro. I had the green chutney I made for the ragda patties

world's best sandwich
This is my dad's recipe, he uses the soft milk bread we get in India, but any soft bread will do. Slather each slice with softened butter, and then a layer of green chutney. Add slices of cucumber and juicy tomatoes on one and top with the other piece of bread. Thats it...thats all you need for the perfect breakfast ( or lunch or dinner :-P) For an Italian twist, skip the cucumber and top the tomatoes with fresh basil leaves instead.
This is the real deal, made by dad with mom's special pudina chutney.

Other breakfast options that I've cooked in the past are here. What are your quick weekday breakfast options ?

33 thoughts:

Mythili said...

Oooh! I love these sandwiches. hmm..soft milk bread... its been ages since i had such simple white bread.

Basil is good.. and throw in some mozarella.. and i am set.

Mythili said...

and oh, you should move to Seattle!

chakhlere said...

Hey Priya!!
Thats a great sandwich!!
I also go on with cereals and hurriedly eat them every day...and decide to make a nice breakfast for the other day:)
This is very nice option which can be fixed in fast!!
I haven't made such nice simple sandwich for so many days now!!
seeing this now may tomorrow i will have it in breakfast!!

Sonia said...

Aiyooo...I made similar sandwich last weekend, ofcourse for a dinner!:) Yes, yes...I spread Coriander-mint chutney too. I also boiled potato slices sprinkled some chat masala and tomato sauce on top...yummy!:)But I always end up with gobbling cucumber-potato slices only and I hardly eat one sandwich. crash diet...no? :P
And yaa...my version is also adapted frm Mom.:)

Priya said...


Mythili, yup, a thick slice of mozzarella will finish it up real good :) white bread here is just not the same. Its odd how I never bothered to think where the bread or biscuits came from when in India. Oven and baking, were just not in my dictionary :D I really must move to Seattle :(

Chakhlere, hehehe, same here. If you make this tomorrow, be sure to make a lot of the green chutney :)

Sonu, aiyoo kyon ? :D boiled potato is a nice option, have seen that combo in chaat bhandars :)

Sonia said...

I just wrote " Aiyoo" because I got excited to see ur sandwich here.:D
btw, I love aiyoo word. hehe.

Nupur said...

Looks lovely...I could eat this for breakfsat, lunch AND dinner all summer :)

amna said...

even we have this very often - pudina chutney is a fave even for dosas..

Manasi said...

Oooooh I love this ! kinda like Bombay sandwich! I can have this anytime!

Bong Mom said...

I love these but it has to be white bread :)

Anonymous said...

Thats a nutritious breakfast with whole lot of veggies...Ha,the soft milk bread we use in india,,I can imgaine..

Suparna said...

yummy looking sandwiches priya...I haven't made sandwiches from a long time, ur clicks are tempting me to make it sometime soon.
I love milk bread, I sometimes dip it in tea and have :)
Have a great weekend!
God Bless!

lata raja said...

I have made a sandwich with chutney and sprouted beans.Will send it for your event.I missed Divya's as with rains life stops still in Ghana...my internet flunked and revived this morning.

Parita said...

loved the sandwich, ah havent had milk bread in long time, i usually pack fruits in my tiffin and have them in office for breakfast

Shri said...

This reminds me of the Indian sandwiches we used to get in the Movie theatres and bakeries,Uh!This is so good given how much we depend on Cereals and toast.

Shaista said...

LOOKS YUMMY AND HEALTHY TOO...

Soma said...

We all love chutney sandwiches:-) I always keep the green chutney in my freezer & this is one of my quick fixes & great for picnics & sudden guests. But I have to have WHITE bread for these:-) reminds me of the street side stalls near the busstops in bombay & pune.

Unknown said...

WOW lovely sandwiches yummmm my favorite too,yes I too like with milk mouthwatering pic. yum yum.

Bergamot said...

The sandwich looks great...
Chutney sandwich is my staple diet when I don't carry my lunch box.

Sanghi said...

Lovely breakfast..! Yummmy ! Good click too..!

Jayashree said...

That's one lovely sandwich, girl....

Doloncookbook said...

Oh you are making me hungry ... I also make the same but place a slice of cheese in between to make it more interesting ....

Miss M said...

Your blog is SO delicious, I cant even begin to tell you how badly i want to eat everything that you have on it! seriously.

Btw, mom used to make sandwiches exactly like this one for tiffin when I was in school.

This post brought back some warm memories. :)

Nirmala said...

Hmm looks yummy and refreshing. Since in India the dosas with idli podi would be quick breakfast options but most of the time it is idlis with a coconut chutney. No hurry hear to miss a good breakfast ;)

Sum Raj said...

woo simple and quick breakfast..

Vani said...

The sndwiches look so pretty, Priya! My quickie breakfast sandwiches have dinner leftovers are stuffing - bhajis, uslis, curries even :)

pelicano said...

Well...I stopped by to see if anything was going on here, and then I read over the comments and didn't find me in there..here I mean. But I am now. Crunch crunch. :-D I'm up late sorting through computer files and then I have to whip together a pasta salad to bring to a b-day party tomorrow- and oh! I need to wrap the gift yet. Bye. :-)

Hope you're enjoying the weekend!

Supriya said...

Sandwiches look delicious to me...these are very popular at my home too..I would love them when my mom gave it for tiffin at school.

Sushma Mallya said...

Photo has come out so nice....feel like having them straight away with a hot coffee

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely photo..yummy sandwich....nice blog

Mandira said...

love the sandwiches... looks fantastic!

lissie said...

it is a long time since I had this sandwich...I will make it in a day or two! they are so yumm!
I have send you my entry for the event. Plz check your e-mail.

Pritya said...

Dear Priya, Nothing like a chutney sandwich in a rush...why...I even like it when I am not in a hurry.

Blogging tips