Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Undrallu/Steamed Rice cakes


Dear foodies,
Steamed rice cakes
This year on Vinakaya chavithi all of you got together and schemed against me by talking about the festivites and your delicious offerings to the elephant Lord. I had not planned on making anything special, a quick sugar candy/dry fruits neivedyam in the morning and I was out of the house. I changed my status message on the messenger, wished everyone I could find online, put a nice blog post wishing all of you, and then started going around ...that was the mistake. Each one of you had a solid plan chalked out on how you were making the day special, hmph! 
And all the foodie photos got me hungry for some authentic festive food too :( I am not a sweet lover, I think I've mentioned that enough in this space, no mood for frying things up either. As I was composing that post I tried looking for a post of undrallu on my blog, I had made them the last two years for Ganesh chathurthi and was so sure I had blogged about them, atleast I thought so. Not finding the post though confirmed by dinner plans :) Undrallu it was, with the condiment made specially for it, a yet another awesome traditional combo, puli-inji/allam-chinthapandu pachadi. Here's my version...
Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup - Rice
  •  * Use 1 1/2 cup idli rava if you want to save time
  • 1/4 cup - Moong/chana/toor dal 
  •  * I used a combo of the later two, while the first is the traditional choice
  • 3/4 tsp - whole Peppercorns  
  • 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp - Cumin seeds/jeera
  • 1/2 Tbsp - Ghee/oil
  • 5-6 - Curry leaves
  • 1 - dried Red chilli
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 Tbsp - grated/bite sized coconut for added flavor (thanks anon!)
Method:
    The upma stage
  1. Soak the rice in water for about 30-40 mins. Drain and spread them on kitchen towels to dry. Once most of the moisture is lost, blend them to a coarse powder along with the dal,  pepper and 1/2 tsp jeera. I got approximately 2 cups of the coarse powder/rava from this.
  2. Microwave 1 1/2 cups of water. Heat ghee in a sauce pan, add the 1/4tsp of the jeera, next add the curry leaves and broken red chilli. Once they splutter, carefully add all the water to the pan with salt. 
  3. Stirring continuously, add the rice-dal rava (and coconut) , try to avoid any lumps. Cover and place on medium-low heat for a 5-8mins. Since the rice was soaked and then ground, it does not take long to cook. Turn off heat when done, but keep covered for a few more minutes. Drizzle a little more ghee if you want now.
  4. The idli stage
  5. In the meantime, place a pressure cooker with a few inches of water to heat. lightly grease a pan that fits inside the cooker. When the rice-dal upma is cool enough to handle, form into into oval shape balls, moisten your hands if needed, so the mixture does not stick to them. Arrange them on the greased pan, close with the lid and steam them for 8-10mins, or until you get a steady stream of steam coming out of the cooker for about 5 mins. Serve hot with some puli-inji or kara podi/idli podi or sambar
Undrallu/Steamed rice cakes
I got about 8 of these, I steamed 4 in the cooker and 4 in the microwave. The batch in the microwave was slightly yellowish and not steamed through as well as the cooker batch. But I am sure you can use the microwave in a pinch. 
I'll add the recipe to the puli-inji and karapodi in the next few posts :) Until then, if you are looking to add sweet potatoes to your meal but are bored of the baked potato like I am, but still want to enjoy them,  try these two wonderful recipes: Baked fries and Thai stew.

12 thoughts:

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

beautiful pics!!! We make this in Karnataka as well... we call it pundi-gatti!!

amna said...

kozhukkatta? that's what we call these in malayalam :) nice and healthy and lite..

Anonymous said...

hi priya
nice photos. quite tempting. How about some tips? u need not soak the dal in water.only chana dal & pesarapappu is added generally.
coconut adds to the flavour.

Priya said...


Ramya, thank you, I guess most of the 'madrasi zone' has a version of this ;) Even in telugu they go by different names based on the region.

Nags, we call the sweet filled ones kozhakattai, what do you call those ?

Anon, thank you so much for the tips. I made changes to the post. Had my mom read this post she would have given me the same tips I guess, I made these from my blurred memory :P

rads said...

You know, am so jealous. Your age I knew squat! *sigh

But then again, there was no net then either :P

Deepa Kuber said...

this is a good one.. loved ur recipe.. nice picture too.

anudivya said...

Hey lovely, it is similar to the savory upma kozhukattai we make. And I love it whatever the name is

Unknown said...

great recipe..and great pics

mitr_bayarea said...

This is a nice recipe....very timely, since I have eaten these made by my mom back home and now want to make it myself.

Anonymous said...

Undrallu....sllluurrrpp....Amma kavali! :( BTW, excellent culinary photography!

Vaishali said...

Gosh, how lovely are these? And such a healthy recipe too.

Anitha said...

First time on your blog. This recipe sounds very interesting. Nice pictures!!

Anitha

Blogging tips