Friday, September 08, 2006

A Simple Dish - Aloo Fry

Dear Foodies,


When its raining, and I'm in no mood to cook, and looking for something simple and comforting to eat potatoes come to the rescue. Some aloo fry with steaming rasam or sambar is just heavenly. If you have the patience to make pulka's, there's nothing better.

Infact the first breakfast that I remember eating with relish was chapati and aloo fry. My mother had packed it for one of my Saturday tiffin boxes when in school. Saturdays are generally half days at school and we are back home at 1 with a lil 15 break at around 10. And to eat before I go to school was something I avoided. I just could'nt get myself to eat anything at 8 in the morning. But on that day, I saw chapati's and aloo fry in the tiffin box when I was placing it in the bag and they vanished even before I left home !!


Now to the recipe, it could'nt get any easier !! I use red potatoes or the white/pale yellow colored ones. I just hate the other huge brownish ones that we get at the stores. They are lumpy and dont taste very good either.


Ingredients:
  • 5 -6 nos - Red potatoes
  • 1 tbsp - Cummin seeds
  • 2 tbsp - Red Chilli powder
  • 1 tbsp - Urad dal
  • 1 tbsp - Channa dal
  • 4 tbsp - Oil
  • Salt to taste
Procedure:
  1. Wash the potatoes in running water and peel them if you think it necessary. Cut them into small pieces, roughly 1/2 -1 inch. As you cut them, place the pieces in some salt water so that they dont discolor.
  2. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a wide pan. Add the cummin seeds and the dals. I add them for some crunch, so you can change the quantity according to your liking.
  3. Once the dals turn a slight reddish color drain and toss in the cut potatoes and salt. Cover with a lid and cook. Stir every few minutes to see that the potatoes dont get burnt/charred. You can add extra oil if needed.
  4. When the pieces are cooked i.e they feel soft when held, add in the chilli powdernd mix well.
  5. Serve hot with rice or chapati's and enjoy your meal :-)

8 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Ever popular potatoes!! Looks good enough for chapatis...thanks!!

Anonymous said...

atlast something i can make at home immediatly...coz it hardly needs any condiments :)

Priya Bhaskaran said...

hey Priya-- this is one dish I make when I am really lazy to cook-- I do exactly the same way --- but I do add Coriender and Cumin powder to the fry:)

Prema Sundar said...

Yes I agree with priya .. i too do this dish the same way when Iam very lazy to cook.

Anonymous said...

Loved your aloo fry Priya. I love all dishes with aloo. will try your version.

Anonymous said...

I've tagged you with a meme,Priya..Do it whenever u get time.

Anonymous said...

Priya, this is what my niece does .and we love it.and you know she feels so proud when makes this and she keeps pulling me saying ha chithi(aunty), even i can cook..thanks for sharing and bringing back memories..

Priya said...


Thanks to all of you for commenting :-) I see that the aloo fry is a dish common to everyone and a lazy cook's rescue !!

Thank you Annita for tagging me :-)

Nice to know that the recipe got back good memories Sudha !! You have a cute niece :-) just like me ;-)

Blogging tips