Friday, October 24, 2008

Strawberry crisp

Dear foodies,

I saw some really red and juicy strawberries at the store today and got reminded of the dish I made numerous times over the summer. When my parents were here, we went to a strawberry picking farm close by and bought a couple of small tubs filled with the best fruit we could lay our hands on. My father loves strawberries and we picked up a pack of them every time we went to the store irrespective of whether the previous batch was done or not. So well, that left us with quite a few berries at home sometimes and I was looking for a few easy recipes that would use them up in bulk. That's when I saw Suganya's recipe for a crisp. My hunt ended right there!

I have tried it with rhubarb, with strawberries alone, added blueberries and blackberries once. I also changed up the topping each time based on what I had, sometimes it was pistachios/ almonds & hazelnuts/ walnuts / walnuts & almonds. Brown sugar when I had it or jaggery the rest of the times. But no matter what I used, the end product was always the most glorious dessert. Eaten warm or chilled it was exquisite. The strawberry reduces into a thick jelly and is yummy against the crunch from the topping. I made it about 4-5 times in a month and a half. I am making another batch right now for a friend who is visiting. Manisha made a apple crisp a few days back and here is a recipe using peaches that I tried and liked.

And since we are heading to Suganya's blog, here is another one of my most favorite recipes from her blog. Potsickers!
This was my goto dish last winter. I quick stir fry of the veggies I had, again not sticking to the entire recipe but going with what was available and what I was in the mood for, and some wanton wrappers, dinner is ready! Her dipping sauce is a simple yet very tasteful combination of ingredients that goes perfectly with these potstickers. You just can't go wrong with this recipe. this is another one I am going to make this weekend. Do give them a try and I am sure you will enjoy them as much as I do.
Enjoy your weekend!

9 thoughts:

anudivya said...

I totally love the potstickers...

karuna said...

the potstickers look delicious. loved the cookware. whr is it frm?

Priya Suresh said...

Wowoww am drooling here....beautiful clicks...

vidhas said...

awesome photos.first time to your blog. Nice collection of recipes

Suganya said...

Mwaah! Thank you, Priya :). The red dishes add a perfect Oriental touch.

Anonymous said...

Girl I have been craving potstickers for such a long time now, & haven't yet got to eating them for sooo long. Your gorgeous pics add to my craving...

Have to go get some, don't feel like making them... been under the weather for a few days.

I have never made berry crisps before:-(

Kitchen Surfer said...

Hi Priya

As soon as I saw the recipe for the crisp, I had to try it out, and so I did!

Turned out great! Thanks for the link.

I too added berries instead of rhubarb, but frozen berries.

Any suggestions for making the crisp thicker or more solid?

Kitchen Surfer said...

Hi Priya

As soon as I saw the recipe for the crisp, I had to try it out, and so I did!

Turned out great! Thanks for the link.

I too added berries instead of rhubarb, but frozen berries.

Any suggestions for making the crisp thicker or more solid?

Priya said...


Anu, me too!

Karuna, I bought the bowls used for the crisp at kohls, I think it was from Bobby Flay's cookware collection. The potsticker's set is a Chinese sushi set I got from World Market.

Priya, actually I am drooling too :D both are wonderful recipes.

Vidhas, thank you, hope you keep coming back :)

Suganya, yaaa, I totally love that set. Thank you for the recipes!

Soma, aah, hope you are doing better now ? I wish I could send that plate over to you. And the berry crisps are the easiest desserts you will make but definitely the one that grabs you a bunch of compliments.

KF, The all purpose flour in the topping helps thicken the fruit if it gives out a lot of juices while cooking. when using fresh berries I usually skip that cos its never runny, but frozen berries might carry a lot more water in them, so try sprinkling a little AP flour over the berries too.

Blogging tips