Thursday, October 02, 2008

Should I too ?

Dear foodies,

What say you ?
If you've already been here (psst, its her b'day today) and here, then you know what I am talking about. Its NaBloWriMo time, ok ok, don't run, its National Blog Writing Month! I have always tried to blog more often but I never really do it, so this is going to be another attempt, to post every single day this month, well if not everyday, then hopefully every week day :) (see, I've already made room for excuses!!)
But hey, Happy Navaratri to all of you!
Have the celebrations begun at your place ? Here is a photo of the kolu/bommala koluvu/doll arrangement in my home at Hyd by my mother. This is a fun festival for kids I think, (not that the rest aren't :P), I remember helping my mom set-up a zoo, a village scene, cricket ground, temple scene and so many more each year, and this was just for the area beside the main arrangement. There isn't one this time :(

On the topmost level is the Ashtalakshmi set, below that the Dasavatharam (no, its not Kamal hassan! can you believe that all the results for a google search of the word relate to the movie!!) collection and below that in the chettiar family, the cutest of the lot. We had an older pair of dolls with the famous wobbling head, but over the years they got chipped. They represent the business class and have tiny vessels containing grains, salt and spices. We had other dolls to depeciting various mythalogical characters over the years, like Lord Rama, Lakshmana, Sita and Hanuman; Radha-Krishna; and then there were dancers, soldiers and many others. Each family has their own unique collection and some handed down through generations. My mom has three main steps this year with two tinier ones at the bottom (odd numbered always), we've also had six main steps a few years, aah miss those days. I have so many little stories connected to this festival, but I can't use up all of then in one day right?, so stay tuned :D

Now tell me what you did or how you remember celebrating it as a child ? I'm off to listen to the VP debate now.

17 thoughts:

anudivya said...

That looks lovely Priya. You have done a wonderful job. How much time did it take to set all of it up?
And who sings at the golu?

amna said...

you should have!

Priya said...


Divya:I wish I could take credit and answer your Q's but its all my mom's efforts. These are photos of our home in India.

Nags:, and now I am late, but well, I'm still going to try :)

Divya Kudua said...

Wonderful kolu Priya... of home.I share your sentiments too,I was amma's main helper during navrathri..good ol' days!!!

Suganya said...

Nice to see the golu...... happy navrathri....

Priya Suresh said...

Wonderful kolu..missing all these..thanks for these awesome pics, feel like we r in India while navarathri...

Priyanka said...

Your mom must have put in a lot of effort for that decoration. Btw, where did you find the mustard greens?

Sangeeth said...

lovely golu thr girl! i luv this! such lovley memories...u make me feel nostalgic! and about t he debate...oh it was a...not worth commenting!

Priya said...


Thank you all, I'll pass on your compliments to my mom, or well, she might read this herself :)

Priyanka, I bought them at the regular grocery store here, just beside the fresh spinach, kale, chard etc.

p.s: the comment space is dominated by 'priya's today :))

Bhawana said...

wow its so nice :).

Srivalli said...

Thats a beautiful kollu priya!

Vidhya said...

Kolu looks really neat and divine.

Uma said...

Well said, those were the days! I remember helping my mom set up the bommala koluvu and the zoo and park etc. Your mother has set up a beautiful kolu Priya! Happy Navarathri to you and your family.

Cham said...

Ur mon hold a beautiful collection. Very pretty gollu :)

Unknown said...

looks beautiful..

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful & it got back a lot of memories. I am from Kolkata and we do not do this during this time. But during janmastami, we decorate different scenes from Krishna's life.. that continues for 3 days. What times we had when we were kids!

Priya said...


Din't expect otherwise from you Manisha :), me will try, me will try...

Blogging tips