Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dum aloo, family style

Update: Photos found and added, yayy!
Dear foodies,

I know, you must be wondering, ' Is this a joke!! Where are all those big sized, high resolution photos that she has been throwing on us lately? Right? right! Sigh....I could not find any more photos of this dish :( I am sure I took some really lovely photos of this dish, they had come out really well :( But now I cannot find them :(( They are not on my laptop or on the external hard drive, I might have deleted them by mistake, but I cannot see how :(( Has this happened to any of you ?

For those who noticed, this photo has been sitting on the sidebar for more than a month having the 'coming soon' tag on it. I am sure if it could really move, it would jump out of that sidebar and shout out at me. Sonu, a reader with a very keen eye noticed this and sent me an email asking me if I ever intended to post the recipe :D So without any further delay, pictures or not, this dish deserves a post and so here it is.
I will not claim this to be authentic, but its dum aloo to me, our family's style! Its one of my favorite ways of eating potatoes and my mother makes it the best. It has a nice khata/tangy flavor mixed with the spiciness of the dish. Baby potatoes work the best in this recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 10 nos - small baby Potatoes
  • 1 nos - medium Onion, cubed
  • 3 nos - vine-ripe Tomatoes, cubed
  • 1 tsp - Tamarind extract (adjust to taste)
  • 1 nos - clove of Garlic
  • 1" dia ginger piece
  • 1 Tbsp - Oil + for roasting potatoes
  • 1/2 tsp -Turmeric
  • 1 tsp - Jeera/cumin sides
  • 1 tsp - Garam masala
  • 11/2 tsp - Red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp - Dhaniya powder
  • 1 tsp - Amchur powder
  • Salt to taste
Method:
  1. Scrub the potatoes clean and boil them in salted water until cooked through. They should still hold their shape though, and not turn into a mush.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Drain the potatoes, peel them when cool enough to handle. Pat dry with a cloth and spread them on a baking sheet, spray a little oil and roast them in the oven to crispen the edges. Bake for 10 mins then place on broil for the last few minutes. Adjust times based on your oven temperature and cooking times. You can also do this on the stove-top by heating 1-2Tbsp of oil and roasting them on all sides.
  3. In the meantime, boil the tomatoes and onions in 1 -1 1/2 cups of water, until the onions turn translucent and the tomatoes squish easily. Cool them and grind to a paste along with the ginger and garlic. Based on the tanginess of the tomatoes add the tamarind extract.
  4. Heat oil in a kadai and splutter the jeera, then add the turmeric and ground paste. Simmer it for 7-8 mins until the raw smell goes away, add the spice powders (garam masala, red chilli, dhaniya powder and amchur), salt and cook for a few more minutes until the oil separates out of the gravy.
  5. Add 1/2 cup of water (or less), the roasted potatoes and simmer on low heat for 10 mins, allowing time for the masala to get soaked by the potatoes. This gravy needs to be clinging to the potatoes so you get a the tanginess with each bite of the potato.
I could have a bowl of it just by itself, you can do that too :D But if not, serve it with some chapati's or jeera rice (or pulao), we had it with both :) If you cannot find baby potatoes, then use the medium sized potatoes like yukon gold or red potatoes, cut them in half and boil, prick them with a fork to get them to cook evenly. Don't forget the salt :) Enjoy!

33 thoughts:

amna said...

where does it get the meettha taste? my husband had it that way in some restaurant and has been haunting me ever since..

the recipe looks easy enough though.. will try it this weekend :)

Priya said...

Nags, I kinda confused you a little with that sentence :D there is no specific meettha ingredient in it, just the mild sweetness of the tomatoes.

Sonia said...

Hey dear...Thanks for posting recipe so fast...:)I just asked you abt that mouth-watering recipe's photo and didn't expect you post it so sooner. Thank you very much. I'll surely give a try ur method and will let u knw abt my trial. I've written u a mail yesterday..pls check it out.
Take care.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow this looks gr8. Nice version bookmarked!

Deepa Kuber said...

oohh.. dum aloo looks too tempting.
there is something for u in my blog

Bhawana said...

Priya, dum aloo is one of my favourite dish to eat. :) your's looks delicious. great recipe.

Priyanka said...

hye priya, you have got a lovely blog here. loved the dum aloo recipe. i make it usually with the khada masala.

anudivya said...

That happens to me all the time. I take a dozen pics, then lose some in the process... it is frustrating, but have learnt to take back-ups now.
Your picture is a beauty even though it is small.

FewMinute Wonders said...

So sorry that your photos are missing.It happens sometimes, but there is always a way out. Why not ask people to prepare your Dum Aloo and send you pictures.There I am sure you could pick one picture from the many.I hoped I cheered u up.

Srivalli said...

well it looks great..so it got have lot of estyle right!..:)

PG CakeCraft said...

Hi Priya, just stopped by at ur wonderful blog. Luv ur dum aloo recipe. Will give it a try soon.

Priya said...


Sonu, will chk it tonight, let me know when you try it :)

KitchFlavors, the pictures were a lot better :( but do try it out and let me know :)

Anjali, me coming, me coming :)

Bhawana, isn't it so yummy! do share your recipe too.

Priyanka, I have never heard of Khada masala, do you have a recipe, I am curious now :)

Divya, I was doing just that when I must have deleted it !! Need to be a little more careful before hitting Ctrl+Atl+Del

Srimathi, you sure did! that's a lovely idea, thank you for bringing back the smile, no wonder you are the Guru :)

Srivalli, yes tons of ishtyle ;)

karuna said...

nice aloo dum recipe. i sometimes add a little tomato sauce to my aloo dum tht gives it a sweet taste.

Anonymous said...

mmm..looks like I'm the only guy to have commented on this post so far....but what the hell, I love to cook. I'm trying this recipe tonight. Can we use adult potatoes if we don't find babies? :P Bad joke! But yea, will regular potatoes do?

Anonymous said...

ooh! chaduvutunTenE full nOroorutundi - venTanE try chEsta - adE mana takshana kartavyam (idO sinimaa dialogue-u yE sinmaanO, evaranTarO cheppukOndi chooddaam :) )

toasting aaloo in the Oven -sooper idea I say.

Anonymous said...

@ dietaDi: Mayabazarlo Dusshasanudidi. Ippudu mee takshana kartavyam, ee samadhanam cheppinanduku naaku samhavana ivvatam. :P

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful,i guess addition of tamarind makes a difference ,coz i almost follow the same recipe ,but somehow i feel the balance is not achieved in flavors...will try this out...and yeah baby potatoes will be another change to my recipe(let me start hunting for those....)

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious

Priya said...


Sweetbites, thank you, let me know how you like it :)

Karuna, for me the moment I get the sauce taste my brain tells me its a snack :D So I don't use it much in curries :))

Karthik, Welcome new species! :D You are free to use any potato that suits your fancy :P Just halve/quarter the bigger ones so they cook faster and evenly. Making them smaller gets them to absorb the gravy flavors better.
And thank you for rescuing me from the 'kaun banega crorepati'esque Q's Naveen has been throwing at me!

Naveen, aithe try chesara, dialogue'lu matrame naa ?

Alka, yes the tamarind adds the zing to the recipe, try it and if that was the missing ingredient.

Divya, yup, I want some now :(

Anonymous said...

@sthitapragnya (ooh! masth pEru!)

bhalE maama bhalE! lessa palikitivi! (gurtupaTTe unTaru, "adE mana takshana kartavyam" anE mundu R naagESwara Rao, I mean duSSasanuDu ee dialogue anTadu.. dialogue originality pOvoddani varsal kalpEshna - maaf kariyEgaa :) )

meeru "sambhaavana" aDiginru ankunTunna.. vEsukonDi oka veera taaDu! - idE sinmaalO dialogue-O cheppaali :D

kintu parantu, idi meeku chaala veasy (ooh! inkO sinmaa dialog - deeni sangati maLLeppuDanna chooddaam)ee saari meeru less paliki priyaa/vErE vaaLLaki chance iyyaalE :)

chinna note-u - "die"taDi kaadu saar, deitaDi :) mee blog chooste meeru kooDa hyderabad ninchi anpinchindi - ee maaTa eppuDanna innaraa?!

@priya
inka cheyyale, chEshnappuDu etlocchindO gaar-gaurantee chepta! prastutaaniki "aha naa peLLanTa" sinmalO kOTaa teeru, meeru peTTina photo chooskunTa, loTTalEsukunTa adE tinTunna ankunTa, nEn chEsindi tinna :) (rads gaaru chEsindi kooDa :P )

LOL @ "kaun banEgaa karODpati".. appuDE em chooshnaru, infront crocodile festival :D (idi kooDa sinma dialogue-E :D).. (j/k)

Vani said...

Read your previous post on lighting. Very impressed wit the images.
Hey the dum aloo still looks delicious - high res photo or not! :)

Anonymous said...

@ deitaDi: sorry, chinna spelling mishtake! ee saari correct-u gaa raashna, sooDanDi. Hyderabad lo 22 Enlu undi, "deitaDi pOchammaguDi" gurinchi inaka pOvuDu, guDi sooDaka pOvuDaa? Em saar, ijjat kA sawaal! manam manam Hyderabad Ollam!
mee cinemaa pichchi choostunTE, meetO chaala discussionlu peTTaali. alaa walking ki veLutuu maatlaaDukundaam (idi kooDaa oka cinema dialogue, endulOdO chappukOnDi chooddAm). EvanTaaru? BTW 'veera taaDu' bahumatinchinanduku naa hridayapoorvaka abhinandanalu sweekarinchanDi! :)

@ Priya: I'm really sorry we've turned your comment space into a discussion forum! pliss to understand! :P And yea, will certainly let you know when I experiment on the Dum Aloo! :D

Anonymous said...

hi priya
nice receipe. ur write up is awesome. for the meeta taste a few dates can be soaked and grounded to paste

sunita said...

Small or big picture,authentic or not, the recipe sounds and delightful. I love dum aloo, and have loved all the ways that I've tasted till now:-)

Anonymous said...

I love dum aloo, one of my and my family's favorite. I have to try out your version.

I use a little coconut milk (not authentic again... my way of doing it), that adds a little meetha to it. hopefully I will have enough time to post it someday:-)

Vijitha said...

lovely post!! looks yum..this is my first time here...

Sonia said...

whr have u been...?

Srilakshmi said...

Hi Priya, I've been a silent reader of your blog since a while. Yesterday, I tried your Dum Aloo and Soy Chunks recipe and I must tell you - They have both come out Awesome! I'm not a big fan of Soya, but tried it for the protein factor and loved the result!

Anonymous said...

Priya,

apologize profusely for turning your comment space into a tollywood quiz contest. kyaa karinge, aadat se majboor hai.

@sthitapragnya
eyy Tippiri Tippiri Tippiri. maLLEskO veeraa taaDu.. ee paari renDu! teenmaar EsuDu marvoddu!!

iga "walking ki veLutoo maaTlaaDukundaama" kostE - nenaDigina kochen ki yE sinmaa naitE answer-O aa sinmaala unna oka sooper dooper hit paaTa pallavi lOni modaTi vaakyam ee sinma title - rightEnaa ;)

ee comment space la ee diskashan continue chEstE, mana kaaLLiragoTTi poyyila bedtharEmo priya.. aa paristhithi raakamundE manam inkkaDininchi khiskO andaam.. kya boltei? you can reach me at ilayaraja[dot]fan[at]gmail[dot]com

rads said...

I should try this recipe. I always mess up..

and girl, don't mind the boys - food is one thing that makes men into childish crazy little boys :)

Priya said...


Thank you all for stopping by, sorry I haven't been able to reply to all your comments.

Srilakshmi, a official welcome from my side :) I am glad you liked the recipes and let me know about it too :)

Anon and Soma, thanks for your tips, will give them a shot next time :)

Karthik and Naveen, sorry for not participating, but thanks for keeping the comment forms open while I was away :) Mera bhi number aayega ;) Nenu telugu film dialogues la koncham eek, so Karthik nuvve handle cheyyi, please!

Rads, mee blog lo choosanu kada, so me don't mindU :D

Anonymous said...

Priya,

eek ankuntanE oka sinma dialog koTTEshnaru! much too much only I say!

Havi Guru said...

hi priya..
my husband told me abt ur blog.he used to read ur recipes when he was a batchelor and try it out.i kinda of like ths since aloo s ma fav.i dont know wts amchur powder and whr can i get from?s it available in india stores?

Blogging tips