Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Makka bhutta - Roasted Corn on the cob

Dear Foodies,

I see some fresh corn at the store at an even more refreshing price, 5 for $1 ! Now who can pass such a neat deal !! So I got home 5 lovely little beauties huddled in their green covers. And as if the weather God saw them tucked in my shopping bag, he sent down some rain the very next evening. Anybody who has been in India during the start of the rainy season can never forget the waft of corn on the cob being roasted on hot coals by the street side. And so, just as soon as the heavenly smell of wet sand rose in the air I went straight into the kitchen to roast the corn.

For rainy days and happy times !
A few dabs of olive oil/butter on the corn, sprinkle some salt and pepper,wrap it in a aluminum foil and they are ready to bake. These went into a preheated oven at 350Deg C for about 20 mins and then on broil for about 2 mins on each side. {Ok ok,,,enough of the "Why !!" look, I have an electric stove and so resorted to this method !!} I am not sure if this is the best way to roast it, but for that rainy day's craving, it was perfect :)

Corn on the cob, or makka bhutta in Telugu, is a savory snack, just like most of the other snack time items we prefer.The corn in India, is not as sweet and tender as the ones here and the favored toppings are salt and lime on the coal-roasted corn. There is also a clear difference in taste between the corn roasted on the hot coals and the one done on the gas stove. Both unique and wonderful in their own way. The other way of eating corn that I preferred for years was the boiled corn. The salted water would just seep into the cob and you could suck the juice each time you bit into it for corn. Lovely !!

One for you , One for me :)
The first time I had corn on the cob here was when I went to watch the Labor day Fireworks. The first bite was disappointing, I was expecting a nice tangy lemon-salt taste but bit into a buttery sweet mess !! It was a horror to realize that corn could be cooked and eaten in this way :)) But well, tastes change and adapt and so... now, something is better than nothing prevails :) but I still do hate all that butter. The corn I had in hand was sweet too and so I opted for butter (or oil, its just for the seasonings to stick & very little is needed, so the taste really doesn't matter) salt n pepper. It was sooooo nice having corn and watching the rain outside...absolute blisss, Get some for yourself & get them soon !

I am going to try other ways of roasting it, boiling these I think will only give me a mush, any suggestions ??


13 thoughts:

bee said...

priya, if you want the real roasted taste, don't do the foil thing. it 'steams' it. put it under the broiler directly and watch it like a hawk.

Priya said...

Ohh...will surely try that today ! And yes, I hawk I will be. I did not know what broiling was until recently and so the first time I used it I had near coals in my baking dish :)) :))

Bong Mom said...

I just do it on the stove stop, little mess but nothing much.

Tastes yummy with some lime juice and salt rubbed on

Nupur said...

LOL on the "sucking salty water out of the corn" :) That is my favorite bit too :) I used to steam the corn..placing it in a covered sieve on a pot of boiling water.
Have you tried corn curries/ stir-fries? Will post some soon.

Anonymous said...

Priya,
My husband loves boiled corn and I prefer it roasted. Always had problems with the fire alarm screaming away everytime I roasted corn or baingan. I have an iron mesh (It looks like a circular mesh with a 1/2 inch rim and a long handle)that can sit on the stove. I use it for phulkas, corn and baingan exclusively. You may find it in your local indian store too. It comes in various shapes.

Suganya said...

Salty liquid from the corn. I remember how they make my lips wrinkly. I pressure cook them placing in a vessel without water for 1 whistle. Or as bee says, broil it with eyes wide open. Since they are already soft, they dint require extensive cooking..

Sharmi said...

we make it like this, your pics are yummy

Nabeela said...

I've always boiled the corns here Priya and never had a problem with it turning to mush. You only boil it for 3 minutes in boiling, salted water.
But broiling sounds like the way to go from the comments here...will try that next time. Or maybe I'll just use my grill to get that toasted on coals taste :)

Coffee said...

Ditto as Suganya...... Any they are more than delicious!!!!!

I even just dunk them in salt water and cook for 1 whistle..... the juicey salt water is yyyyyuuuuummmm!!!!!!!!!

You brought back some nostalgic moments with that post. :)

Roopa said...

i too had that bad expeirence of the buttery corn oh my never i go again for corns sold outside. i always boil as coffee and suganya stated.

Priya said...


Like expected all of you seem to have memories linked to corn.

And I'll be trying out the methods you guys hae shared. I have three more left, so one will be to broil it like Bee has said, one boiled the way Suganya has said and the third might wait for Nupur to come out with her recipes :))

Thanks to all of you for stopping by. Three cheers to Corn on the cob

Anonymous said...

hmmm yummy :)
i luv boiled ones too
with red chilli powder salt and lemon .......hmmmmm

Ichthyus said...

Hi,

I'm an expat from India too - living in Florida & missing things like bhel puri, pav bhaji (from the vendors in the National Park in Bombay!) & roasted corn. I was reading somewhere that if you store American sweet corn for too long, the sugars convert to starches & the corn becomes a little tougher. Would this be a good way to try & mimic the corn in India? & I don't have a gas stove, so maybe on the grill on a high flame? Your opinions would be so appreciated :)

Thanks!

Blogging tips