Sunday, February 11, 2007

Pick Me Up - II

*Updated with new pics*
Dear Foodies,

All decked up :-)
I made some Tiramisu y'day and I must tell you it was on of the best I have ever eaten. I definitely had no clue how it would turn out and had my fingers crossed all through the night !!

Tiramisu is an Italian dessert and the world literally means "pick me up", probably because of the caffeine and chocolate which are known to give you instant energy. Learn more about this mouthful of heaven here.Layered to kill !!
Tiramisu, made well, is the yummiest dessert you will ever dig into. Couple of months back, we friends had gone to a Italian restaurant and were so full after the meal that we thought just one serving of dessert would be enough for the 9 of us. The lady taking care of our order asked us if we were sure about it and we firmly told her, we were !! 10 secs after she served us the Tiramisu the plate was empty !! When she looked back at our table she was shocked at our speed and very well expected our request for a second bowl :-). This time too she lingered around to see if we still maintained the speed and we did not disappoint her..hehe. It was a fork fight at the plate, if your fork got entangled with another, you loose your share, simple rule !! After this incident we've been to 2 other Italian places and their Tiramisu has always visited our table.

On one of Giada's Everyday Italian show on Food TV that I watched during my stay at my brothers place, she made some chocolate tiramisu and the recipe looked simple enough to recreate at home. I looked for more recipes online and found one with no egg too. Last Friday, we went to a grocery store and in the spur of the moment I decided I wanted to make Tiramisu that nite cos it is one of P's fav desserts ! I could not remember all the ingredients but couldn't. The store I went to had no espresso powder or mascarpone cheese and just when I was going to drop the idea, I found that the back of the ladyfingers package had a recipe for Tiramisu and they had very thoughtfully given a substitution for mascarpone !! Lovely !! So I got all my ingredients and set out to make 'one of the best desserts I have ever made' in P's words :-)
Topped with Strawberry relish and Chocolate Fudge
Now I am going to share my recipe with you and I am sure anyone who has tasted Tiramisu before will look very apprehensively at it. You are definitely going to think "What ! Thats it and its going to be the best you ever made !! How do you personally define 'best' ??" But I promise, it was the best I ate....I skipped sooo many ingredients that most recipes ask for and was definitely not sure how this would turn out, but it must have been the love that went into the dish ! Cos the first bite banished all those fears and we were all transported to heaven !! All of us enjoyed and savored every spoonful of it taking our own sweet time to swallow it and hoping the taste would linger in our mouths forever !! I am not exaggerating even a weee bit !!

Okay, enough of the talk .. now to the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 24 Ladyfingers (one pack for me)
  • 1 cup - Coffee liqueur like kahlua
  • OR
  • 11/2 cups : Water
  • 2-3 Tbsp: Coffee powder (dint find instant espresso mix, so used the coffee powder at home)
  • 11/2 cup: Milk/semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 2 tbsp : Heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tsp : Vegetable Oil/butter
  • 2 cups: Heavy whipping cream (keep refrigerated until ready to use)
  • 2 Tbsp : Sugar
  • 1/2 tsp: Vanilla essence
  • 1 Tbsp : Coconut, very fine flakes(optional, adds great texture)
  • 5 Tbsp : Mascarpone cheese (must be at room temp)
  • 2 Tbsp : Sugar
To dust over the layers:
  • 1 Tbsp : Cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup : Chocolate shavings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Substitute for mascarpone cheese, mix together
  • 4 oz : Cream cheese, at room temp
  • 3 Tbsp : Sour cream, at room temp
  • 2 Tbsp : Heavy whipping cream
Procedure:
  1. In a microwave safe bowl and add 2 Tbsp of whipping cream and the 1 1/2 cups of roughly chopped chocolate to it. Microwave for 30secs, stir and heat for 30 more secs. Stir to get a smooth sauce, the residual heat from the bowl will help melt the chocolate and so don't heat longer than a minute. Allow it to cool.
  2. Fold in the softened mascarpone cheese (or substitute) and coconut flakes into the melted chocolate sauce and set aside.
  3. If you don't find mascarpone cheese, then add all the ingredients under the substitute list and mix well to get uniform consistency. First take the cream cheese and beat it till its a little smooth and then add the whipping cream and sour cream.
  4. Take 2 cups of whipping cream in a bowl and beat until it starts to thicken a little. Add the sugar and vanilla essence now and continue to whip until you achieve soft peaks. Easy to get with a electric beater, it took 10-12 mins of continuous beating by hand. Refrigerate till ready to use.
  5. If you are not using coffee liqueur, make some fresh espresso at home or use regular coffee. I got 11/2 cups of water to a near boil, turned off the heat and added the instant coffee powder to it.
Now its just arranging all this into layers. Choose a dish according to its width and depth, more depth accommodates more layers, and a wide dish makes room for more tiramisu !! I have a Pyrex 3 qt dish with no other options. I could get 2 layers in it.
  1. Line the dish with a double layer of plastic wrap, it makes it easy to transfer the tiramisu in to a plate while serving.
  2. Have the coffee/espresso in a wide plate like dish so that it makes dipping easy. Dip the ladyfingers in the coffee and arrange them in your dish. Don't over dip them as they crumble very fast absorbing a whole lot of liquid. Just one short dip on each side is more than enough.
  3. Layer them at the bottom of the dish and add a few spoonfuls of the zabaglione (chocolate-mascarapone cheese mixture) and spread evenly.
  4. creating the second layer here

    melted chocolate and mascarpone mix

    spreading a layer of chocolatey goodness

    now time for the fluffy clouds, whipped cream


  5. Dust some cocoa powder, chocolate shavings and some instant coffee powder on top.
  6. Repeat steps 2-4 for as many layers as you want.
  7. Cover the dish with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-5 hrs, I left it in overnight though.
I was worried it would not set as I did not use eggs at all. And all the rum and marsala was not added, it was an experiment at each step !! The result was outstanding, simply superb !! (*I have made it over 6 times now, and it has won the crwods every single time*)The layers came out really well. The chocolate taste was really rich and creamy. The ladyfingers absorbed all the coffee flavor and little of the chocolates richness too and were really soft but firm enough to support the layers. This is a easy breezy recipe but the outcome is the most decadent dessert and will flatter anyone you make it for. But remember, the secret ingredient is LOVE....lots of it :-)

For topping I made some more chocolate sauce and strawberry relish. This post is already too long to accommodate another recipe. It will come in my next post adn will be my entry to Maheshwari's AFAM event. This one is surely being sent to Meeta for her Sweet Love-MM, P, my roomie for the last 2yrs moved y'day and this one is for her, 100% Love you and miss you :-(

21 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

hey the ladyfingers have eggs ?!dont they ! I dont use them at all in my baking . btw it looks fantastic :)

Anonymous said...

By the way you've enjoyed Tiramisu ...really wish i could pick up and have a bite.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious and I love the way your every other sentence ends with an exclaimation mark... or two! That just convinced me to try this recipe out asap. haha.
Great job priya!

Anonymous said...

Priya, for one moment I thought you were making Tiramisu from Lady's Finger LOL LOL LOL!!!!!

Great way to make this lovely dessert!!!! Thats an easy way to make it!!! Thanks for that :)

Lakshmik said...

Hi Priya

I love Tiramisu, but always refrained from making it because of the mascarpone cheese and eggs. Of course, I do eat eggs but don't like it refrigerated desserts. This recipe seems to be a great substitute. Thanks so much. Will try and let you know. BTW, will I find ladyfingers in the bread aisle? Do let me know.

Suma Gandlur said...

Priya,
WOW!!!!!
That's what I want to say. I was always put off when I saw a recipe for tiramisu and it contained rum.
definitely, I am going to try your version sometime.
Thanks.

marriedtoadesi.com said...

This is great Priya, a recipe that finally even my parents can enjoy. I love that you make all your recipes eggless. It's a treat to find them!

Chandrika said...

Priya, hats off to your patience for such a detailed step by step post! Thank you! Will try it soon..

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Hi Priya,
This looks fantastic. I have to apologize that I was unable to take it into the roundup. But just go ahead and copy the link into the comments section of the roundup. Well done on that effort!

Anonymous said...

Hi, came bloghopping and was glued to the Tiramisu post...I love the dessert but never dared to experiment...anyhow can you pls update your post with the correct ingredients...like in "My version of Zabaglio", you have written 2tbsp & also 2cups of heavy whipping creme...whats the correct measurement..also cocoa powder-is it 4 tbsp or 4 cups..??..Do provide accurate ingredients list to try out the wonderful recipe...thanks a ton..-Lalitha

Anonymous said...

did you cook or boil the lady's fingers before dipping them in expresso..??

Priya said...


Lavy : Thanks for the info. I am a lil weird with my egg choices. I eat store bought cakes which more often than not have eggs, but I dont use eggs in my kitchen !!

Arsu: WHERE ARE YOU ??!!

Chitz: Wonderful to see you here! I have added all your egg-less recipes to my to-do list :-) I'll be waiting for your post on Tiramisu ! (;-) exclamations all the way..hehe)

Coffee: Lol :-))

Lakshmi: Try this version and just let your taste buds guide you thru :-)

Suma: Do try it out Suma and let me know if creates the same magic in your home

Kanchana: I just cant get myself to use eggs in my kitchen !! I am always on the look out for eggless versions. Glad it helps you too and let me know if you have any too :-)

Priya said...


Chandrika: hehe...I was so excited to share the recipe that I wroted every single thing I did. Only after I was done with it did I realize how huge the post was !!

Meeta: Will surely do that ! Thank you :-)

Lalitha: I made the changes to the post to make to clear. The 2 Tbsp of heavy cream is for the chocolate sauce and the 2 cups is for you to beat until soft peaks. You will find the detailed steps in the procedure too. Hope that helps :-)

Anon: No cooking for the ladyfingers. Open that pack and use them directly.

Shah cooks said...

ur tiramisu looks good. i have to try this again. a long time back i overdosed on a huge tiramisu from costco and got so sick of it, haven't had it in years! but now i feel like trying to make it. thanks.

Mandira said...

Priya, your Tiramisu looks so delicious and easy to make. Will try this soon :)

Anonymous said...

Wow..!!

Priya, that looks amazing...and left me mouthwatering...but I don think where will I get all those items in list...I havent seen / heard such in so far..!!

Wud definitely give a try when I get them all, insha Allah!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...reading over and over jus makes me starve for it!

Iam book marking this page in my to do list and adding your blog in my blogroll..!!

Happy Bloggin!

Anonymous said...

Lavy if u want to avoid eggs, u can use Marie biscuits instead of ladyfingers.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to discourage you, but Zabaglione (or Sabayon) is a custard made from egg yolks.

Konkani Foodie said...

That looks great!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Poonam said...

Hey Priya it's Poonam I happened to be searching for a recipe to make foolproof tiramisu and ta-da I reached ur blog. I didn't know that u had a food blog and I must say that all the recipes look fabulous and the tiramisu look so easy to make . I make something similar using condensed milk that has been made into toffee . Awesome job and shall certainly keep coming back to ur blog for ore recipes regards to aunty n uncle :) tc

Blogging tips