Thursday, November 30, 2006

Radish Stir Fry

Dear Foodies,


I made Mysore rasam a few days back and paired it with this simple radish stir fry. The rasam has a comforting feel attributed to the freshly ground spices that it is made from. My mother very thoughtfully made some kind of a simple veggie stir fry along with it, something that would gel with the rasam and not take snatch away its glory.

I used Red Radishes to make this dish. I dont remember eating the red colored ones in India, radish is called mullangi in Telugu and the one I am used to seeing is white and my mother made Sambar with it (similar to Indira's recipe). When I saw these tiny lil beauties at the grocery store for the first time I was tempted to buy them though I dint know what to do with them. The first few times I made use of them in sambar, but then I was using up just 3-4 at a time and the pack never got over !! So I tried making a stir fry with these and it tasted really good. If you have tasted them, you will see that they are not as strong in taste as the white ones, those were really sharp in taste and even brought tears in your eyes !! But these cute reddies do no such thing. They take well to the spice powders and have a comforting feel to them.

This dish can me made in a jiffy and does not need much of your attention either. Cooking them this way also retains most of their nutrients as they are mainly steam cooked with very little oil used. Here goes my recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 10-15 nos - Radishes, the small ones neatly washed.
  • 1 nos - Onion, chopped
  • 2 nos - Red chilli, dried
  • 1 tsp - Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp - Cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp - Urad dal
  • 1 tsp - Channa dal
  • 1 Tbsp - Oil, for sauteing
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp - *Curry Powder(kura podi)/Dalia Powder or 1 tsp - Coriander powder
  • 2 tsp - Coconut flakes (optional)
Procedure:
  1. Neatly wash & clean the radishes and chop them. Peeling them is left to your choice. Cutting them is the only tedious part for this dish !! Peel and chop the onion, size same as that of the radishes.
  2. In a wide pan heat the oil, once hot add the mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter add the cumin seeds and the dals. Toast them till the dals turn a slight red and add the red chilles and then the onions.
  3. Saute till the onions become transparent. Now toss in the chopped radishes. Sprinkle salt and cooked covered. The salt will bring out the water in the radish that will be enough to cook them. Sprinkle some water if needed. Stir in between to avoid charring.
  4. Once the radish pieces turn soft add the choice of spice powder you use and stir fry for a few minutes, uncovered. Add the coconut flakes now if using.
  5. Serve with hot rice and sambar/rasam. They also pair well with chapatis.

Notes:
  • Other veggies like beans, potatoes, beetroot, carrot, bottle gourd, chow-chow can be cooked in a similar method.
  • The Kura Podi I used is the pack my roomies mom made in India and sent it along for us :-) I will try and get the recipe from her and post it soon :-)

7 thoughts:

Krithika said...

Radish stir fry looks delicious ! Have never tried it . Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Hi Priya, after years of avoiding radishes, I am starting to try them and this way sounds great! Very nice pics too :)

Lakshmik said...

Hi Priya

Simple yet delcious and healthy curry. Thanks

FH said...

Love radish dishes.Looks great.I usually get Daikons here, not bad compared to none at all:))

Thanks Priya.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Priya, wow a very unusual combination - for me at least. Looks simple and easy to make and a new way of making the veg!!

Hugs
Meeta

Praba Ram said...

First time seeing a stirfry using radhish...Interesting recipe! Will give it a try..Your bisibelebath is still talked about in our household...Thanks!

Praba

Andrea said...

Priya, this dish was delicious and easy! I couldn't find any other recipes for radishes. I had no idea they cooked up to be sweet and mellow. I also agree that this dish pairs perfectly with mysore rasam.
Thanks for your thorough recipes

Blogging tips