Monday, July 10, 2006

Sponge Dosa/ Rice Pancake and Tomato Chutney

Dear Foodies,
Mom's Special breakfast
My Mother's entry to Nandita's 'Weekend Breakfast Blogging'
Here's a recipe from my mom. Its one of my favourite breakfasts. I havent eaten this dosa anywhere else except at home. These dosas look like a idli-dosa hybrid variety, fluffy like the idlis and nice and crisp like dosa's, it just cant get any better !! My mom generally serves it with tomato chutney or plain pickle and idli-karam podi + oil ( I like a pinch of sugar in the idli karam podi ;-) ) . Its a perfect breakfast or also good for a light dinner.

So here goes the recipe from Mom:

~ SPONGE DOSA ~
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups - Rice (preferably 1 cup - raw rice; 1 cup - parboiled rice/uppidi bhiyam)
  • 1/2 cup - Poha (atukulu) or tapioca seeds (sabudana)
  • Salt to taste

Procedure:
  1. Soak the rice in water for 2 hours and soak the atukulu or sabudhana in a little sour curd.
  2. Grind them together with salt and let the batter rest overnight to ferment just like dosa batter. You will see that the batter nearly doubles itself in volume by morning.
  3. Heat a pan, once its ready put a ladle full of the batter in the center, pour a little oil around the edges and cover the dosa with a lid. After a min check on the dosa, it would have fluffed up and ready to eat :-). The dosa should be cooked in low flame.
  4. Serve hot with chutney or sambar.
Note:
  • The dosa should not be shaped/spread while pouring it on the pan. Just pour a laddle full on the pan and leave it to cook.
  • A pan that has a slight dip in the center is perfect for making this dosa.
  • Poha should be prefered over the use of tapioca seeds/ sabudana.

~ GREEN (unripe) TOMATO CHUTNEY ~

Ingredients :
  • 10 nos - Unripe tomatoes (greenish red colored ones)
  • 1 Tbsp - Chana dal
  • 1 Tbsp - Urad dal
  • 1 Tbsp - Peanuts
  • 5 nos - Dried red chillies
  • 3 nos - Green chilies
  • 1 Tbsp - Oil
  • 1 pinch of asafoetida
  • Salt to taste

Procedure:

  1. Roast the dals and red chillies in a little oil till the dal turns a slight red in color and let them cool down.
  2. Slice tomatoes into quarters and saute them too in little oil till they cook a bit and then reserve till they reach room temperature.
  3. Grind all the ingredients with some salt. Fresh coriander leaves can also be added while grinding. Onions too can be fried & added along with tomatoes.

24 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Hi Priya,

you have a nice blog going here.
I have a question, when you say boiled rice, do you mean the cooked rice or the parboiled rice..

take care
p

Priya
P, thanks for pointing out. Its Parboiled rice !

Anonymous said...

Wow another killer combo sponge dosa with raw tomato chutney. Great recipe especially the chutney. Gonna try it soon.

Mom,
Thank You Arsu

Sudha said...

Priya, im coming over there for the breakfast;-) ok.. lovely combo...

Priya
Your welcome anytime Sudha :-)

Unknown said...

I so love it for its simplicity, just 2 ingredients- this is a blessing for any lazy girl, even one like me to make dosa batter at home, instead of getting it from my mom / grandmom / aunts etc, luckily they all live in Bombay ;)

Mom & Priya
Lucky you Nandita, Try surprising them by sending over a few of these dosa's to them for a twist in the tale !!


Anonymous said...

Looks delicious ! The dosa looks very soft and fluffy.I have never tried raw tomato chutney before. Shall try both soon. Thanx to you and your mom for sharing a nice breakfats recipe

Mom
Try this one and let me know how u like it Priya.

Aravind said...

FYI: this is a very common breakfast dish in kerala.its called 'appam'....appam and kadalai curry r the deadliest combo tere.they r like made for each other.u might want to try tat combo.i hv survived on this for 4 yrs of my engg. i had forgotten abt sucha dish, thanx for reminding me abt it :)

Priya
Yes Aravind, this dosa is very similar to the appams. I havent been lucky enuff to try some authentic appams..how abt u inviting me sometime..!!

Ashwini said...

Hey Priya...landed here through Vaishali's blog. Welcome to blog world.
The dosas sound great. We (in Konkan) add poha too but soaked in curd is a lovely touch.
I have the same question as the first commenter - what do you mean by boiled rice?

Priya
Thank you Ashwini, and as pointed out by P, its Parboiled rice.

sudha said...

hi priya..very nice idli like dosas. Even my mother prepares this type of dosa occasionaly but i never tried. Thanks for reminding me of this dosa which i almost forgot.

Priya
Glad that I brought it back to you, but do try it out before it slips by again !!

Anonymous said...

Hey Priya,
First time here, i very much liked the dosa recipe. Dosa looks so bright and soft. I really can't wait to try it. Thanks.

Priya
Welcome Madhu !! This dosa tastes really good, do try it out when u can.

Anonymous said...

Sponge Dosas are a must in my home atleast once a week. Your tomato chutney recipe is very similar to one I make.
Good pictures, Priya.

Priya
This is a really wonderful breakfast Sailu. The recipe and pictures are from my Mom...I just wrote the 1st para and posted it :-) . Hope your doing well now., I am unable to comment on ur page and so could not enquire.

Anupama said...

Hi Priya visited your blog for the first time todayand was pleasantly surprised to see your sponge dosa recipe. I am taking my first steps into south indian cooking and I am definitely going to try this recipe of yours

Priya
Welcome here Anupama ! Glad u like the recipe, do try them out. I am sure your going to enjoy South Indian food especially with so much help from many bloggers sharing authentic recipes here !!

Menu Today said...

Hi,
I love both sponge dosa and romato chutney. Adding sabhudhana is new to me. I will try it soon.

Jaya said...

Hey pri,

like Aravind said, we call it aapam and make it with coconut. A killer combination is also Aapam with thenga paal (coconut milk) and onion chutney... Maybe this is a variation which I'll probably try!

Priya
Ya Jaya, I guess its a variation of appam. Do try it out and when u do, dont forget to call me :-)

Unknown said...

Looks super delicious.

May I know wat POHA is?

Priya
Poha is flattened rice in Hindi,
Pushpa :-) Here is how it looks:
http://www.indojin.com/shop-online/catalog/images/rice-flake.jpg

Nav said...

Nice Dosa Priya, it seems simple and delicious. Please compliment your mom on my behalf, pictures and recipe are superb. Keep them coming please!

Cheers,
Nav

Priya
Will surely pass on the compliments Nav, do try it and let me know how it worked for you.

archana said...

Looks like a close relative of appam. Thank you for the recipe Priya, sounds easy enough to try it this weekend.
Archana

Priya
Yes Archana, this recipe shares similarities with Appam, even I am planning to try it out this weekend :-)

Anonymous said...

Is this dosa cooked only on one side.

Priya
Ya Anon, this dosa needs to be cooked only on one side, you dont have to flip it.

Vaishali said...

Those dosas look lovely, Priya. Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe. Poha soaked in yogurt is interesting. I am sure the batter fluffs up with it.

Priya
Very true Vaishali, thats the reason why my Mother insisted we prefer Poha over sabudana if possible.

Anonymous said...

This is somehing new to me..Is this similar to Set Dosa ? Will definitely try out.

Reeta Skeeter said...

Hats off to all moms!!! urs too!!!

love!

Anonymous said...

hi priya...
i tried this recipe but somehow the batter didnt rise...how much curd do u need 4 that and how long do u need 2 soak it???n does it have to be really sour???or wat else cud the reason be!!!

Roopa said...

Hi priya

Thanks for the simple recipe, the dosas were soft and spongy. My little one just loved it.
This is would be part of the daily tiffin menu for us.

i also tried your kalakand mine turned out a little brown, but the taste was still fabulous.

Keep blogging
Roopa

Anonymous said...

Being quite tired of regular dosas, idlis and appams I was searching for new breakfast recipes when I came across this one. I made this for breakfast today and it was really good. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe : )

Umm Maryam

Priya said...

I am gald you liked it Maryam, Thank you for getting back to me :) I think I have seen your comments on Shaheen's blog quite a bit I think, Hope I have not got you wrong :P

Blogging tips