Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sodhi/ Cabbage cooked in Coconut milk

*Uploaded new photos
Dear Foodies,

Going with the combo recipe I had in my previous post. Here is another wonderful combo. Sodhi is a very simple recipe. Its just what the title says it is 'cabbage cooked in coconut milk', it needs no extra spices to give taste to it. It might sound like a weird combination but trust me, the two of them blend beautifully. They have a mild but unique flavor and when used together they are wonderful. Well, but they are NOT the duo in the combo I was talking about. Sodhi served with fluffy hot puri's is one of the best combos I have had. You have to taste it to vouch for it as the taste is nothing like any of the other combo's we are used to !!

I did not have the time and patience to make puri's last night and so adjusted with some store bought plain paratha's and rice. I dint want to insult this dish by serving it with plain rice and so I gave a mild flavor of a few cloves, cardamom pods, a garlic pod and bay leaves sauteed in some ghee. I made sure the spices were just enough to lend a mild taste to the rice and would not over power the main dish, Sodhi :-)

Anyone who has tasted this dish before, do tell me...none of my friends heard of it !!! :-(

Ingredients:

  • 1 nos - Cabbage, finely chopped
  • 2 nos - Onions, finely chopped
  • 4 nos - Green chillies, slit through the length
  • 1 sprig - Curry leaves
  • 1 cup - Coconut milk
  • 2 Tbsp - Lime juice
  • Salt to taste

For seasoning:
  • 1 tsp - Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp - Cumin seeds
  • 4 Tbsp - Oil

For fresh coconut milk:

(1) Grate 1 coconut and squeeze the milk from it using your hand or filter. The milk got with the first attempt is called 1st paalu/milk.
(2) To get more milk add some water to the leftover gratings and extract again. This is called 2nd milk. You can use a blender for this step so that the water and grated coconut mix well.
(3) Repeat step (2) for the 3rd milk.

I conveniently used store bought coconut milk,and surprisingly it tasted just as good or did I forget the taste...!!!

Procedure:
  1. In a wide pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, once they splutter add the cumin seeds.
  2. Add the green chillies and curry leaves, once they are coated with oil add the chopped onions and saute till they turn transparent.
  3. Now toss in the cabbage and saute for 2-3 mins, add salt.
  4. If using fresh prepared coconut milk add the 3rd milk first and cook for a while covering the pan with a lid, once the water content reduces add the 2nd milk and cook till the cabbage turns soft.
  5. Now reduce the flame and add the 1st milk and cook for 1-2 mins on low flame. Dont let it boil at this stage.
  6. If using store bought coconut milk then cook by adding a little water till the cabbage is cooked, then add coconut milk and let it stay on low flame for 2-3 mins. The dish is not very runny, so add little amounts of water.
  7. Turn off and add the lime juice and mix.
  8. Serve hot with puris for best results, it is a perfect pairing ;-)
Note:
  • To speed up the process, I microwaved the cabbage till the onions were done :-)
  • Before adding the 1st milk reduce the flame and let the whole curry cool down a bit. After the milk is added dont let the curry boil. You definetely dont want the milk to separate and spoil ur dish !
On requests about this recipe's origin, I asked my mom about it and here is the story:
~~ This dish belongs to the Malaysian cuisine. My grandmother had spent her childhood there and brought along a few of their dishes along with her when she came to India. She then taught my mother and now I am learning from her. I have to mention here that my grandmother is an excellent cook and has hundreds of recipes up her sleeve, she has also penned it all down in a book and is still adding to it !! ~~


Enjoy your food :-)

18 thoughts:

Revathi said...

Thats a very nice recipe Priya. Both coconut milk and cabbage are very good in healing ulcers - I have heard of this recipe.. But have not tasted this.

Mom's recipe ha ??

Priya
Thanks for the info Revathi, now thats a good reason to have the two in one recipe !! All the recipes here are my mom's ...a few she posts herself...and a few are poor imitation of hers that I dish out over here :-)

sudha said...

I was looking for cabbage varieties bcz its abundant here in US. Will surely try this time. Thanks for sharing Priya.

Priya
Even I tried this cos I was bored of the usual cabbage curry, try it out and let me know how u like it..!

archana said...

I must try this at once,it is always good to have many cabbage recipes handy !!! Thank you for the recipe Priya,which regional cusine takes the credit for this dish?

Priya
I am not sure of this recipes cuisine Archana ! From the comments I see that it has connections to the Malaysian cuisine...I dont know how my mom got hold of it...will ask her and let u know :-)

indianadoc said...

Sodhi is new to me Priya...I saw one in Pushpa's too which says it is Sri lankan...be it Lankan or Indian,Keralites love anything to do with coconut!!It sounds something like the Telugu'paluposina koora', the difference being that the milk added is dairy...I have some cabbage in my fridger...hopefully i can try it soon.

Priya
The cuisine that this dish comes from is a mystery to me too, I wonder why I never asked my mom about it !

starry said...

i love cabbage, will have to try this recipe. thanks for sharing

Priya
Welcome to my blog ! do try it out and hope to see u around :-)

Anonymous said...

It's pretty common here in Malaysia (although they come across as variations to the recipe you posted), this dish. I've never known the name of this dish, but have eaten it a number of times.

When I do encounter it, i'd heap tons of it onto my plate! Love it!

Priya
Welcome to my blog Star ! Thanks for throwing some light on this dish's origin !! Even I love the flavor of this dish :-)

Neelu said...

Hey Thanks for the nice recipe. It is very doiferent form the one I usualy make. Have never eaten cabbage with onions before. Will try it soon.

Priya
Even my frnds were apprehensive about the outcome of this 'hatke' combo. But all of them liked it, so do give it a try !

fursat said...

The recipe looks very simple and yummy. I love cabbage and so will be trying this very soon. Thanks!!

Priya
Welcome to my blog Ricky ! Do try it out and let me know how u like it. You have a nice blog there and I was tied up reading it and the other blogs linked thru you and hence the late response to your comment !!

Krithika said...

This one is new to me. Cabbage with coconut milk. Need to try this. Thanks for the recipe.

I had blog question. How are you able to respond to individual comments ? I have not been able to figure that one out.

Priya
Do try it out and let me knonw if u liked it Krithika !
And for the comments, I added a lil code in my template that lets me do it. I could email it to you if u want :-) (dint find an email id in your blog, u can email me at 'akshayapaatram@gmail.com')

Anonymous said...

Hello Priya,

I tried your reciepe today. It turned out to be VERY GOOD.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

i tried this but didn't have the heat low enough, it split.

Once this has happened is there any way you can get it back ?

Thanks

Priya said...


@ Elinus: Welcome to my blog. Glad you tried the recipe. Well once the milk splits we cant get it back to normal, but it should not effect the flavor of the dish much. The only problem is it might spoil very soon and so you cant store it.
For the future attempts you can heat the milk or bring it to room temperature before you add it to the dish and also lower the stove heat.

Anonymous said...

Is it the same as Yazhpanamkari that my mom makes? Sounds very similar and I am sure it tastes great!
I will note this receipe!
Thanks
M

Sudha said...

Hi Priya,
Google search brought me into your blog and I tried this cabbage in coconut milk...Yum!!! It turned out very well. Have been showing off by making this recipe while entertaining and all my guests seem to love it. Thanks!

Priya said...

Sudha, this is one of my fav's too. not many are aware of this recipe and it always gets good words. Thank you soo much for trying it and letting me know too :)It means a lot to receive feedback

Vinod Sodhi said...

Will try it soon.Wonder why it is named Sodhi,a clan name originated in Punjab?

Priya said...


Vinod, Even I've wondered how it got its name. The roots of this recipe though seem to originate from Malay cuisine. My grandma grew up in Malayasia and this is a recipe of hers that we love.

Thanks dropping by.

karla manickam said...

it looks very white and boring. maybe its tasty but it doesnt look appetizing. maybe u can add some turmeris to make it look presentable. thank you.

Blogging tips