Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tofu Veggie Hash

Hello Foodies,


I got through two books in two days this weekend. And I got 4 more from the library to read over the next few weeks. I go through these phases where I pick one hobby and do one project after another, crocheting, sewing, photography or reading. Its been a while since I picked up a good book and read it in one sitting. I have a hard time picking books, if I don't like the first few pages I'll never get through it not matter how good the reviews. Last year I read the books suggested by Tara Austen (Tea and Cookies) and enjoyed all of them. The library system here is just brilliant and I can find almost any book in the vast network they have. Each book on that list was very different from the other but they all were tied by the common theme of food. I love getting immersed in a book, living with the characters and anticipating how the story unravels. Even when I have to step away from the book I'm still in their world with them until I complete the book. A well written book can do that to you, drawing you into its imaginary world by creating life like scenarios. A movie not matter how good it is lasts just a few hours and is soon forgotten.


I picked the first book (The Mango Season by Amulya Malladi) at  random with just 5 mins to library closing. Once I got through it late that night I went back the next day and got a second one from the same author, Serving Crazy with Curry. I was so thrilled to have finished the book in one setting that I did not want to stop with one. Both were easy reads with well developed plots and characters. They also had little recipes strewn between the chapters which was nice. I picked up more books when I went back and is it odd that they all seem to have a food theme going on! ha. So as to not spend too much time in the kitchen I whipped up this quick brunch style dish to keep me with my books longer.

Tofu Veggie Hash
Prep time - 10 mins
Cooking time - 20 mins
Servings - 2 -3
Ingredients:
  • 3 oz - Tofu block, extra firm
  • 1/4 cup - Tomato, diced
  • 1/3 cup - Onions, Green & Red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup - Potatoes, cubed (Red or Yukon Gold)
  • 1/2 tsp - Cumin & Fennel seeds
  • 1/4 tsp - Red pepper flakes
  • 1/8 tsp - Turmeric powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 Tbsp - Olive oil
  • 2 - Spring onions greens for garnish
Method:
  1. Heat a Tbsp of oil in a saute pan on medium high heat. Add cumin & fennel seeds, once they begin to sizzle add red pepper flakes, turmeric powder, diced onions and peppers. 
  2. Meanwhile, peel and cube potatoes. Rinse them in water to get rid of extra starch. Drain tofu and cube in roughly the same size as potatoes.
  3. When the onions and peppers are tender and begin to char slightly transfer them to a plate and reserve. Add another tablespoon of oil to the saute pan and toss in cubed potatoes. Cook for 5-6 minutes without moving then too much so they can crisp up on each side. 
  4. Cubed tofu, tomatoes and sauteed veggies go in next. Add salt to taste and cook for 5 mins until the flavors meld together. 
  5. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with diced spring onion greens and serve with fruits and toast. 

Hash is one of my favorite brunch dishes when I eat out and making it at home is even better. Potatoes and peppers go perfectly together and adding tofu brings protein and substance to the party. It soaks up the flavor from the veggies and tastes really good in the end. The different textures from the peppers, crispy and tender potatoes and tofu work well together. The fennel seeds add just enough interest along with the cumin seeds or I its just that I'm in a fennel phase now :) What are your favorite brunch recipes ? or weekend reads ?

7 thoughts:

Gujarati Zaika said...

wow very healthy ....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Absolutely love the idea !!! Please do send your delicious and healthy dish to my "Healthy Me & Healthy Us" event @ my blog (read the rules please)

Anonymous said...

Love this recipe.. I make it often

Pavani said...

What a colorful hash. Love the addition of tofu.
It's been a while I read any books. I'm intrigued by Amulya Malladi's books, will see if my library has them.

Unknown said...

Loved the recipe and your photos!

themustardseed said...

I love hash browns and I love th idea of making it with tofu! So good and healthy too!I am making it tomorrow!

Blogging tips